These Chocolate Chia Berry Sun Butter Cups are so easy to make and insanely good. Dark chocolate cups with a sunflower seed butter and berry chia jam filling. These little treats are grain free, paleo, dairy free, nut free and vegan and with low carb options. They are so simple to make and my kids were fighting over these. I was barely able to save one for myself. We will be making these frequently, as my family was pestering me to make more after they ate them all. They are loaded with antioxidants from the berries and dark chocolate.
These contain the super food chia seeds. Chia seeds are high in fiber, aid in weight loss, lower blood pressure, stabilize blood sugar, and hydrate the body. Chia seeds make a great thickener for the homemade berry jam filling. My daughter said these were better than See’s candy. At least we know they are much healthier too. The berry chia jam was great and I had some jam left over to save for making these again. I used a mini muffin pan like this one: Candy molds or muffin cups.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, where to buy chia seeds
- 1½ tbsp water
- 3 tbsp blueberries
- ¼ cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter, where to buy, can also use a nut butter of choice.
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips (dairy free and soy free kind for paleo, like this kind) or for low carb use ⅔ sugar free chocolate bar, chopped, like this kind or can use unsweetened bakers chocolate sweetened with liquid stevia to taste.
- candy molds or small muffin pan, like this one
- In a small bowl combine the chia seeds and water. Stir and refrigerate for 10 minutes, or until gel like texture forms.
- In a blender or processor, process the blueberries and strawberries. Pulse until thick jam texture forms (don’t over blend)
- Add the berry mixture to the chia seed and water gel. Stir together thoroughly.
- Melt chocolate chip in a small sauce pan on low heat.
- Once melted, place 2 tsp of melted chocolate at the bottom of each cup in oiled candy mold cups or small greased muffin pan.
- Add a 1 tsp of sunflower seed butter to the top of each chocolate cup.
- Then add a ½ tsp of chia berry jam layer to the top of the sunflower butter.
- Then top with an additional 2 tsp of melted chocolate and use spoon to spread around to cover jam.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes or refrigerate for 20 minutes or more until solid.
- Carefully remove from mold and enjoy.
Nutritional Data for Paleo Version ( using enjoy life chocolate chips): Servings: 8 medium size cups, Serving: 1 medium size cup, Cal; 130, Carbs: 11 g / Net Carbs: 9.2 g, Fiber: 1.8 g, Fat: 9 g, Protein: 3 g, Sugar: 9 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*