Easy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Pie is a low carb, primal comfort food with paleo options. I used to enjoy putting buffalo chicken wing meat into mac and cheese, but that is not a healthy option for me now. So I’ve been trying to come up with a grain free, low carb version that is completely macaroni free, and sneaks in some veggies as well. This turned out so much better than I expected. I’m definitely going to have this on the menu often. It really satisfies the cravings I have for creamy spicy foods. It is not super spicy either, I had made it mildly spicy so the hubby could eat it, and I just added a little extra hot sauce on mine after it was baked. I like extra spicy! The Mini bell peppers are just for garnish and a pop of color, but can be omitted. And all cheeses can be omitted for paleo or dairy free. After cooking veggies and chicken, combine with sauce ingredients.
Spoon and press chicken-veggie and sauce mixture into the bottom of ramekins. Combine crust ingredients. Once combined, spoon and press crust mixture on top of chicken layer. Spread and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Lightly press optional mini pepper slices into crust. Bake for 30 or more minutes. Cool, serve and enjoy! ———————————————————————————————————-
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
|Easy Creamy Buffalo Chicken Pie (grain free)|| || |
- CHICKEN & VEGGIE LAYER:
- 1 ¼ lb. chicken breast, cooked and chopped, or shredded.
- 2 celery stalks, chopped.
- 1 clove garlic minced.
- 1 carrot, chopped * optional, omit if low carb.
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter, ghee or coconut oil, where to buy: ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Cayenne Pepper sauce, I used this Cayenne Pepper sauce
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- ½ Cup cream of choice: for primal and low carb use ½ cup organic sour cream (find a brand that is gum free and uses acidophilus), Or for paleo use ⅓ cup home-made or paleo friendly mayonnaise, here is link to a fast and easy paleo mayonnaise recipe
- 1 ½ Tbsp redhot original cayenne pepper sauce, I used Franks.
- ½ tsp ground mustard.
- ½ tsp sea salt.
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese *optional, omit for paleo.
- VEGGIE CRUST INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups cauliflower, ground in a processor or riced or grated.
- 2 eggs beaten.
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut flour, where to buy coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce.
- ⅓ cup grated Swiss cheese *optional, omit if paleo or dairy free.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- ¼ tsp pepper.
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 2 sliced and seeded mini red and orange bell peppers for garnish.
- ¼ cup grated cheese of choice, omit for paleo
- Extra hot sauce, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 F and grease or oil 5 ramekins (small glass or ceramic bowls), or an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large skillet on medium high combine: butter or oil, chopped celery, minced garlic, and optional chopped carrots. Sauté vegetables on medium for about five minutes or until veggies soften.
- Add cooked chopped chicken and 2 tbsp cayenne pepper sauce to skillet and stir and sauté on medium for a for 5 minutes. Turn skillet down to low and cover and simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and cool a little.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all the sauce ingredients and stir together.
- Mix chicken-veggie mixture with sauce mixture. Thoroughly coat all the chicken and veggies with the sauce (as seen in photo above).
- Divide chicken mixture into five servings and spoon into bottom of ramekins, or spoon all into 8x8 baking dish. Spread and press chicken mixture into bottom of ramekins or baking pan (as seen in photo above). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the crust ingredients and mix together thoroughly (as seen in photo above).
- Once completely mixed, divide into five portions and spoon on top of chicken layer in ramekin, spoon all onto baking dish (as seen in photo above).
- Spread crust mixture evenly over chicken mixture with the back of a spoon and smooth out until covered (as seen in photo above).
- Press lightly the mini chopped and seeded peppers into crust, if desired (as seen in photo above) *optional.
- Bake for 30 minutes or more, or until crust is slightly browned and center is firm.
- Top with optional grated cheese if desired, and cool. Serve and enjoy.
Servings :5, Serving Size: 1 pie, Cal: 327, Carbs: 6 g/ Net Carbs: 2.2 g, Fiber: 3.8 g Fat: 19 g, Protein: 33 g, Sugar: 1 g
Nutritional Data for Paleo version with mayonnaise and without cheeses:
Servings: 5, Serving Size; 1 pie, Cal: 351, Carbs: 6 g/ Net Carbs: 2.2 g, Fiber: 3.8 g, Fat; 23 g, Protein: 30 g, sugar: 2 g
* all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used.*