These are a fun, simple treat to make with the kids, and the adult kids as well. They are paleo and have a low carb version too. I remember making a lot of jello when I was a kid in the 70's, but the traditional, processed jello is full of all kinds of nasty additives and chemicals.
The good news is that the unsweetened, unflavored, grass fed gelatin has many health benefits. It is high in protein and contains collagen for healthy skin ,hair and nails. Gelatin has anti-ageing properties, and can help with weight loss. No grains, starches, gluten or fruit juices are in these.
They can be served plain or topped with coconut sauce and, blueberries, or sliced strawberries. I cut mine into squares, but I also put some of the mixture into small molds. My kids like to get out the cookie cutters and make fun shapes that wiggle.
Chocolate Coconut Cream Gelatin Wigglers
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Gelatin:
- 1 ounce can coconut milk divided in half., 13.6
- 3 tbsp envelopes or 2 ½ unsweetened unflavored, gelatin ( try to get grass fed).
- 2 ½ tbsp cocoa or cacao powder.
- cup Sweetener of choice: ⅓ honey or maple syrup or ⅓ cup swerve plus 25 drops stevia for low carb version., paleo
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut butter..
- Optional Coconut Sauce:
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- ¼ tsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp honey or 8 drops stevia liquid for low carb.
- ⅛ tsp vanilla extract or ground vanilla bean *optional.
- Optional Fruit topping:
- ¼ cup blueberries or strawberry slices.
- Shake up coconut milk can before opening, and divide in half.
- Place half of coconut milk in a medium sauce pan on stove top, and the other half of coconut milk in a medium glass bowl, and set aside.
- Heat coconut milk in sauce pan on medium heat, and add: cocoa powder, sweetener, and coconut butter. Stir and melt the sweetener and cocoa powder into the milk.
- In the medium glass bowl, add the 3 envelopes of gelatin to the coconut milk and stir until combined.
- Once it turns into a thick paste add it to the warm coconut milk mixture on stove top. Stir over medium heat until paste melts into the coconut-cocoa powder mixture. Continue stirring until smooth and lump free.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan or jello molds. Pour into pan or jello mold.
- Refrigerate overnight or freeze for 25 minutes or more, until gelatin sets. Cut into squares, or use cookie cutters to make shapes, or remove from jello molds.
- Melt, on medium low, the optional coconut sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Let cool a minute and drizzle over gelatin shapes. Top with optional blueberries or strawberry slices.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
More Information about the benefits of Gelatin: The Health Benefits of Gelatin