I wanted to make an appetizer with hard boiled eggs, but I didn’t have time to make scotch eggs.
I decided to slice them in bite size slices, then dip them into an egg wash, and coat them in grain free breading. Next, I baked them in the oven, turning once, until browned. Then I topped them with cooked bacon crumbles and cheese.
I garnished them with optional Frank’s red pepper sauce ( I like spicy). These were a great low carb, primal, high protein snack.
Grain Free Egg and Bacon Bites
- 2 Tbsp oil of choice: coconut oil melted, or olive oil.
- 3 hard boiled eggs peeled, cooled and refrigerated.
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour.
- 1 1/2 tbsp almond flour or ground sunflower seed for nut free.
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese * optional omit if paleo.
- 1/4 tsp sea salt * optional.
- 1/4 tsp paprika.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Egg wash:
- 1 raw egg beaten.
- 2 tbsp milk of choice: unsweetened almond milk or organic heavy cream.
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard powder.
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled.
- 2 tbsp cheese chopped or grated * optional.
- 1 tbsp red pepper sauce hot sauce or salsa * optional.
- Preheat oven to 375 F, and pour 2 tbsps oil of choice onto and around a baking pan.
- Take hard-boiled eggs that are cold and have been refrigerated for a few hours.
- In a medium bowl combine: coconut flour, almond flour, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- In a separate medium size bowl whisk together: 1 raw egg, milk of choice, and ground mustard.
- Dip a hard boiled egg slice into wet egg wash, being careful to hold and keep yolk from falling out.
- Dip and turn egg slice into the coconut almond flour mixture, until covered in the flour.
- Place egg slice on oiled baking sheet, and repeat procedure with each egg slice ((even the ends).
- Bake for 10 minutes (until just browning) and turn over each slice, then put back in oven for 7 minutes to brown other side.
- Remove from oven and top with bacon crumbles and cheese.
- Put back into oven and bake for 2 to 3 minute more, until cheese is melted.
- Cool and serve. Can garnish with red pepper sauce if desired.