Lemon honey mustard chicken is an easy, paleo, budget friendly, one pan wonder, meal that is a family favorite at my house. Chicken and artichokes baked in a lemon honey mustard sauce with minced garlic. The low carb version of this dish uses a low carb sweetener in place of the honey.
This is very easy to throw together and put put in the oven after work. I have to admit that the easy recipes are the ones that we have on the menu the most frequently.
These one pan wonder meals are great when I’m in a rush and because I dread doing all those dishes when I’m tired. Here are some budget friendly tips to help save money when making this dish:
- I suggest buying fresh or frozen organic chicken thighs to save money when making this dish. Organic chicken thighs are much more economical than buying chicken breasts, and if you buy frozen you usually save even more money.
- I recommend buying frozen organic artichoke hearts which usually cost less than canned organic artichokes. The frozen artichokes hearts are easy to defrost by running room temperature water over them in a colander.
- 1 ¼ lb chicken thighs or breasts can use frozen organic
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 ½ lemons 1 sliced and ½ lemon juiced
- tbsp Sweetener of choice:2 organic honey or for low carb use 2 tbsp erythritol.
- 3 tbsp organic gluten free Dijon mustard (make sure ingredients are only mustard seed, vinegar, and spices).
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup can organic artichoke hearts drained of excess liquid, or can use 1 of packaged frozen organic artichoke hearts, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and oil or grease lightly a 9x13 baking dish.
- Line the bottom of the prepared pan with the lemon slices and sprinkle the top of lemon slices with minced garlic.
- Place the chicken on top of the lemon slices with garlic.
- In a medium size bowl combine: juice of half a lemon, 1 tbsp honey or 1 1/2 tbsp low carb sweetener, 3 tbsp Dijon mustard, and ¼ tsp sea salt. Mix together thoroughly until combined.
- Pour or spoon half of mustard mixture over the chicken.
- Top the chicken with artichokes and pour or spoon the rest of mustard mixture on top of artichokes.
- Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or if frozen chicken is used bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done in center.
- Remove from oven, cool a few minutes before uncovering. Serve.
Nutritonal Data for Paleo Version (honey sweetener option): Serving size; 1 of 5 portions, Cal: 194, Carbs: 10 g / Net Carbs: 8.3 g, Fiber: 1.7 g, Fat: 8 g, Protein: 22 g, Sugar: 7 g,
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*