French Vanilla Angel Food Cake, grain free
A light, vanilla flavored, primal, angel food cake with low carb options.
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time32 mins
- 3 eggs separate whites and yolks.
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar.
- 2 tbsp organic cream cheese softened ( full fat kind), or for paleo sub with 2 tbsp cashew butter+ 1/2 tsp lemon juice, warmed and mixed (dairy free option).
- 2 tbsp butter melted, or coconut oil melted, where to buy coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour sifted, where to buy coconut flour
- tbsp Sweetener of choice: 2 honey for primal / paleo or for low carb use: 2 tbsp erythritol + 8 drops liquid stevia +2 ½ tbsp water.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract . organic GF kind
- 1/8 tsp ground vanilla bean * optional can omit (I love extra vanilla).
- ½ tsp baking soda + ½ tsp cream of tartar mixed in a separate pinch bowl.
- ¼ cup organic heavy cream or for dairy free use coconut cream whipped and sweetened to taste with a few drops honey for paleo / primal or use a few drops liquid stevia for low carb version., coconut cream or canned coconut milk in fridge overnight and scoop out solid cream at top of can
- ¼ cup berries of choice (I used blueberries and raspberries)
- Kitchen Tools:
- inch One 9 cake pan or 1 mini bundt cake dozen pan.
- Two large mixing bowls.
- Egg separator * optional I do it the “old school” way, where to buy an egg separator
- One small pinch bowl or small container.
- One hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Immersion stick blender or bullet type blender . for whipping cream
Preheat oven to 300 F, and grease or oil a 9 inch cake pan, or mini bundt cake pan (use extra grease or oil for mini bundt cake pan because baked goods stick more in decorative pans).
Separate the eggs whites and yolks. Put whites in large mixing bowl, being careful not to get any yolk in it. Put yolks in different large mixing bowl and set aside.
Add ¼ tsp cream of tartar to egg whites and use hand mixer or stand mixer on high to whip egg whites. Continue whipping egg whites until stiff peaks form (it takes a few minutes) * see photo above. Set aside.
In other mixing bowl with yolks combine: yolks, softened cream cheese, melted butter, sweetener of choice (honey or low carb kind * see ingredient list), vanilla extract, optional ground vanilla bean, and sifted coconut flour. Combine thoroughly.
Add baking soda- cream of tartar mixture to the egg yolk-coconut flour batter and mix well.
Add egg yolk-coconut flour batter to the stiff egg whites and fold in with a spatula. Can stir gently, scraping sides a couple times after folding in. Just be careful not mix, and lose the foamy texture * see photo above.
Spoon foamy batter into prepared 9 inch cake pan, or mini bundt pan *see photo above.
Bake at 300 F for 19 to 20 minutes, or until top of cake is browning.
Cool. Use a knife between cake and edge of pan and slide around to loosen before removing.
Can make optional whipped cream with stick blender or magic bullet. Blend heavy cream or coconut cream and sweetener of choice until whipped cream forms.
Top with whipped topping and berries if desired and serve.
Nutritional Data for Low Carb Version ( includes berries and whip cream): Serving size: 2 mini bundt cakes, or 1/6 of 9 inch round cake pan, Cal: 139, Carbs: 3.1 g / Net Carbs: 1.9 g, Fiber: 1.2 g, Fat: 12 g, Protein:4 g, Sugar: 1 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*