Italian Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Bake
An easy, creamy, Italian cheesy sausage and zucchini noodle bake. Low carb comfort food!
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time37 mins
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whole ricotta cheese
- 3 inch medium sized zucchini squash spiral cut into noodles, I use this spiral cutter, about 5 size
- 2 inch Italian or smoked sausage links (5 to 6 size make sure it's gluten free), chopped or sliced, I like this kind of sausage
- 3 tbsp red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ tbsp almond meal or almond flour * optional
Preheat oven to 350° F, and grease or oil a medium size baking dish (3 quart or 9 x 16). Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add sage and minced garlic. Stir and sauté for a few minutes. Once butter is melted and sage and garlic are mixed, add Italian seasonings and sea salt. Stir together thoroughly.
Remove from heat. Add heavy cream and ricotta, and whisk in until thoroughly mixed into the sauce. Set aside.
Place spiral zucchini noodles into a colander over the sink and press down on the zoodles with a paper towel or your hands to strain out excess water. In a large mixing bowl combine: zucchini noodles, sliced or chopped sausage.
Place zucchini noodles and sausage mixture into the baking dish. Spoon cheesy cream sauce evenly over the top of the zucchini noodles.
Sprinkle chopped red bell peppers over the top of cream sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan and mozzarella on top of the cream sauce and peppers. Sprinkle optional almond meal over the top of casserole.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove, cool and serve.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.7g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 18g | Fiber: 1.7g | Sugar: 2g