Banana Upside Down Cake
An easy, paleo banana upside down cake that includes a lower carb version.
Prep Time6 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time31 mins
- Bottom Fruit Layer:
- 2 tbsps butter or coconut oil melted, where to buy coconut oil
- 1 cup small banana sliced, or ¼ blueberries for low carb version
- 2 tbsps walnut pieces * optional can omit for nut free.
- 2 tbsps coconut sugar or 2 tbsps erythritol for low carb, where to buy erythritol
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Top Cake Layer:
- 2 eggs beaten.
- cup Sweetener of choice: 1/3 organic maple syrup for paleo or 1/3 cup low carb maple syrup for low carb version, I used this low carb one
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 tsp organic GF vanilla extract or 1 tsp ground vanilla bean
- ½ tsp baking soda.
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar.
- 1 cup small banana mashed, or ¼ blueberries for lower carb version.
- 1/3 cup coconut flour where to buy coconut flour
- Kitchen Tools:
- One large mixing bowl.
- inch One 9 round cake pan.
Preheat oven to 350 F, and lightly grease a 9 inch cake pan.
Place 2 tbsps butter or coconut oil into cake pan, and put pan into preheating oven for a couple minutes to melt butter or oil. Once melted, make sure butter or oil is evenly distributed all over the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle 2 tbsps coconut sugar or granulated low carb sweetener all over the melted butter or oil.
Sprinkle 1 tsp cinnamon on top of sweetener layer.
Layer banana slices or blueberries on top of butter- sweetener layer, as seen in photo above. Add optional walnut pieces to fruit layer. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine all the “top cake layer” ingredients except for the coconut flour. Mix thoroughly, then add the coconut flour and mix well, scraping sides of bowl, and braking up any coconut flour clumps.
Spoon cake batter on top of fruit layer in pan,* as seen in photo above. Spread cake batter evenly across entire pan.
Bake for 25 minutes or until top of cake is browned and center is set.
Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Use a butter knife between cake and edge of pan and slide around to loosen cake from pan. Turn cake pan upside down onto a large plate or serving platter. Cake should fall onto plate, but if not, then use a turning spatula to lift gently under cake a little, and then turn upside down onto plate.
Slice and serve.
Should be stored in fridge, if serving later.
Nutritional Data for Paleo version with banana: Total Number of Servings: 8, Serving Size: 1 slice , Cal: 183, Carbs: 28 g / Net Carbs: 25.4 g, Fiber: 2.6 g, Fat: 6 g, Protein: 3 g, Sugar: 22 g
Nutritional Data for Low carb version with blueberries: Total Number of Servings: 8,
Serving Size: 1 slice, Cal: 97, Carbs: 6.5 / Net Carbs: 3.9 g, Fiber: 2.6 g, Fat: 6 g, Protein: 3 g, Sugar: 2 g