Primal Pizza Pie Layer Casserole is a grain free, low carb, and family friendly casserole. We love this pizza casserole at my house. Even the kids love it. The veggies are hidden, and you really can’t taste them. My daughter did notice the green specks of zucchini in the crust, but thought it was herbs. If you leave out the cheese, then this casserole becomes paleo friendly too.
Makes great leftovers too, and can be made in advance and reheated. Finally, something grain free and low carb that I could bring to a potluck.
While making this, I was going to drain the meat completely, but was too lazy to transfer from the pan, so I just poured a little off into a metal bowl. I was also going to strain and squeeze the ground zucchini, but also felt that was too many steps so, I just dumped it in as is. I put a little more coconut flour then I had originally planned on to absorb the zucchini moisture. Yay, it worked, I get to skip another step. What is your favorite kitchen short cut?
Ground beef and sauce on bottom layer.
Spread veggie crust layer over the top of meat layer.
Smooth out crust layer with back of spoon or spatula.
Place pepperoni on top of crust layer.
Sprinkle with the cheese.
Bake 30 minutes and enjoy the pizza goodness~
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
- Meat and Sauce Layer:
- 1 lb ground beef browned and lightly drained.
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce make sure tomatoes are the only ingredient., 8 ounces
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings.
- ½ tsp garlic powder.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- ½ tsp oregano
- Veggie Crust Layer:
- ½ medium raw zucchini, grated or ground.
- 1 cup raw cauliflower grated or ground.
- 2 cloves garlic .
- 2 eggs beaten.
- 3 tbsp coconut flour.
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice * can omit for paleo.
- 1 tbsp butter melted or coconut oil, melted.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- Topping Layer:
- 16 slices of pepperoni or salami.
- ½ cup grated cheese of choice I used mozzarella * can omit for paleo.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and lightly grease a 9 x 11x3 inch oval casserole dish.
- Using a large fry pan, brown ground beef. Lightly drain some excess grease.
- Add to ground beef in pan: tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, oregano, and sea salt. Stir and heat over medium high heat until bubbling. Turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 6 minutes.
- In food processor add: zucchini, cauliflower, and garlic cloves. Process until veggies look like rice granules, or can grate them with grater or ricer.
- In large mixing bowl combine: ground zucchini cauliflower garlic, 2 eggs, 3 tbsp coconut flour, ¼ cup grated cheese, 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil, and ¼ tsp sea salt. Mix together until a paste like dough forms, and make sure to break up any coconut flour clumps. Set aside.
- Stir simmering ground beef, and remove from heat. Spoon ground beef into casserole dish and spread across bottom of dish.
- Take veggie crust dough and spoon on top of meat layer in dish. With the back of large spoon or spatula, spread dough evenly across the top of meat layer and smooth.
- Place pepperoni slices on top of veggie crust. Sprinkle grated cheese on top of pepperoni and crust layer.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until top of casserole is browning and crust is done.
- Remove, cool, serve and enjoy 🙂
* nutritional data is an estimate based on the products I used*
Nutrition Facts: Yield:6, Serving size: 1 serving out of 6 total servings, Calories: 358, Fat: 22 g, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Net Carbs: 5 g, Sugar: 2 g Fiber: 2.2 g, Protein: 29 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*