Paleo Eggs In A Hole, or eggs in a basket, or toad in hole, or also known as eggs in a frame. This classic egg dish goes by many names. Actually, the true” Toad in a Hole” dish is sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding originating from the UK, and my family (Americans) have always called this egg dish “Toad in a Hole” . So they have been calling it the wrong name for a long time. Basically, it is a fried egg inside a “cut out” in your toast. I made a version that is paleo, grain free, starch free, nut free and low carb by using my grain free quick bread in place of regular toast. This recipe is actually 0 net carbs because of the fiber content is higher than the carb count. So, this recipe is great for Keto or Atkin’s induction.
Baked the sandwich bread
Cut or press a hole in the center of bread
Crack egg into bread hole in fry pan
Once egg is cooked enough, flip over to cook other side
Serve and enjoy
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
- Quick Sandwich Bread:
- 2 ½ Tbsp golden flax meal, where to buy flax meal
- 1 egg, beaten.
- 1 tbsp coconut or almond milk.
- ¼ tsp baking soda + ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed in a separate pinch bowl.
- ½ tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- Toad in a hole:
- 2 eggs for frying
- 2 tsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil a loaf pan.
- Combine all quick bread ingredients in the loaf pan and stir until completely combined.
- Bake the bread in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until browned.
- Remove bread from oven and cool completely.
- Slice bread across the middle and slide a spatula under the bread and lift out of loaf pan * as seen in photo above.
- With a knife or biscuit cutter cut a hole in the center of each piece of quick bread.
- Oil or grease a fry pan and place on stove top on medium heat. Place bread in fry pan and crack an egg into each bread hole, * as seen in photo above. Cook eggs for a few minutes and then flip over to cook other side of eggs and bread.
- Remove from pan with spatula once eggs are cooked the way you prefer.
- Serve and enjoy.