Bacon Mushroom Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf, grain-free and low carb.
Bacon Mushroom Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf is a grain-free, low carb meatloaf that is full of flavor, and stuffed with bacon mushroom goodness!
The low carb primal version has Swiss cheese in the middle as well, but for paleo dieters, the cheese can be left out.
My husband loved this, even though he is not a ground turkey fan at all. I suspect bacon is what changed his mind, lol. Bacon, the paleo, low carb magical ingredient.
This meatloaf has sautéed mushrooms and onions throughout the meat and is stuffed with bacon and optional Swiss cheese in the center. So darn good!
For Recipe and Directions, Scroll to the printable recipe card at bottom of the post
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Bacon Mushroom Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 ¼ lb ground turkey can also use ground beef
- ⅓ cup tomato puree or tomato sauce make sure tomato is the only ingredients
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 ½ tablespoon golden flax meal or can use ¼ cup almond meal instead
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup minced onion * optional (not everybody likes onions)
- 3 cloves peeled minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce or can use 2 tablespoon coconut amino sauce, like this one
- 3 slices uncooked bacon I used the nitrate free kind
- 4 slices Swiss cheese make sure it is whole Swiss Cheese for low carb *optional, omit if paleo
- Preheat oven to 350° F (177 °C), and grease or oil a 9x4 standard size loaf pan. In a medium size skillet over medium high heat melt the 2 tablespoon butter. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir occasionally and heat for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Stir in, remove from stove top and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine: 1 ¼ lb ground turkey, ⅓ cup tomato sauce, 1 large egg, 1 ½ tablespoon flax meal or ¼ cup almond meal, ¾ teaspoon sea salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Combine thoroughly.
- Add all the butter mushroom garlic mixture to the meatloaf mixture. Stir and combine thoroughly. Add half of meatloaf mixture to the loaf pan and spread across the bottom of the pan with a rubber scraper or the back of a spoon, *seen in photo above.
- Layer 3 slices of uncooked bacon on top of the meatloaf layer, as seen in photo above. Layer the optional cheese slices on top of the bacon, *seen in photo above.
- Add the other half of meatloaf mixture to the top bacon & cheese layer, and spread across the loaf pan to cover the last layer, *seen in photo above. Bake in oven for 60 minutes. Might need a little more or less time, depending on your oven. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Nutritional data is below and includes the cheese
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional Data: Serving size: 1 slice out of 8, Calories: 192, Fat: 11 g, Carbohydrates: 3 g / Net Carbs: 2 g, Sugar: 1 g, Sodium: 426 mg / without sea salt added: 250 mg,Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 16 g
Followed your recipe instructions, only substituted golden flax meal with bread crumbs.
Found the meatloaf watery and needed to drain and cook at a higher temperature for another 20 mins.
It was still very good.
Darcy, The flax meal absorbs much of any liquid. I can't have bread crumbs, so I can't try that substitution but I think you would a much larger amount than the flax meal.
Can you make this with beef or pork? I can't eat turkey.
Yes, Jodi, you can use ground beef.