Egg Bacon Zucchini Nests
A lovely nest of grated zucchini with bacon and an egg nestled inside. Grain free, low carb and paleo.
These Egg Bacon Zucchini Nests are low carb & grain free awesomeness!! So much flavor, and perfect for breakfast, or a very filling snack.
I made these for a fun Easter breakfast, but I will continue making these year round, as they need to happen often!
You can make these in advance, keep in the fridge, and reheat for a busy morning breakfast on the go.
These are especially excellent with hot sauce, but my hubby (no can do spicy foods), loved these as is, and he kept commenting on how good they were.
Scroll towards the bottom of post for a printable recipe card and directions
Egg Bacon Zucchini Nests
- 2 cups zucchini squash grated ( makes 2 grated)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced.
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg beaten.
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour or can use 1 tbsp golden flax meal instead
- ⅓ cup cheese grated * optional, can omit for paleo
- 4 slices cooked bacon crumbled or chopped
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil a medium to larger size muffin pan.
- In a food processor or grater, grate zucchini until all zucchini is grated. Put grated zucchini in layered paper towels or a cheese cloth and wrap it up and squeeze out excess water over the sink. try to get much of the moisture out.
- Put drained, pressed zucchini in a large mixing bowl and add: minced garlic, salt, pepper, coconut flour, grated cheese and 1 beaten egg. Mix together thoroughly.
- Place about 2 tbsps of the zucchini mixture into the muffin pan cups. Use a spoon and press a depression into each each zucchini cup to make a well.
- Bake just the zucchini cups for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle a little crumbled bacon in each zucchini nest, and then crack an egg in each zucchini nest. With a fork, lightly poke each yolk to kept from bubbling while baking.
- Bake for 20 mins, or until egg is cooked as you prefer. Remove from oven, and cool slightly. Then use a butter knife between the muffin cup and zucchini nest and slide around to loosen and lift out nests.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g|
|Saturated Fat 5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 301 mg|
|Sodium 214 mg|
|Potassium 199 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate 3 g | Net Carbs: 2 g|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g|
|Sugars 1 g|
|Protein 12 g|
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*