Frosted Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
Frosted Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes are fudgy cupcakes with raspberry accents and frosted with a creamy vanilla frosting. These are grain free, paleo with low carb and dairy-free version. First of all, I just need to say wow, these are so ridiculously good! I will be making these for my birthday. Well, probably sooner than that.
My husband said after he ate one of these “wow these taste like real cupcakes!” As if I’ve been feeding him fake cupcakes. When actually these are the first time I’ve made healthy cupcakes. I think he was referring to all the muffins I’ve made. I don’t think he pays attention, or really notices those subtle differences. He is not a big fan of sweets, so he says, but he keeps asking me if he can have more of those cupcakes.
My picky eater child loved these, even though he does not like raspberries. He said they were chocolatey enough to make the berries taste good. These were fairly easy make and were fudgier than most cupcakes. I really enjoyed the chocolate and raspberry flavors, and I had one without the frosting and it was really good as well. I can’t decide if I like them better with or without the frosting. My husband and son prefer with frosting. Either way, these are a crowd pleaser.
Products & Tools That Are Helpful:
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
Paleo Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Cream Frosting
- 6 tbsp coconut flour sifted, like this one
- ½ cup sweetener of choice: coconut sugar for paleo or for low carb use erythritol (like Swerve)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk + ½ tsp apple cider vinegar mixed together in a separate small bowl.
- 1 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 13 raspberries chopped fine or mashed
- VANILLA CREAM FROSTING:
- Cream of choice: for paleo use ½ cup coconut cream (take an unopened can of full fat coconut milk and put can in the freezer for 25 minutes to solidify), or for low carb use 4 ounces cream cheese.
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp GF vanilla extract
- tbsp Sweetener of choice: 1 honey for paleo or for low carb use ⅓ tsp liquid stevia, or more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line with muffin cups or grease a muffin pan.
- In a large metal, glass or ceramic mixing bowl combine: 6 tbsp coconut flour and ½ cup sweetener of choice (coconut sugar, or swerve or other low carb granulated sweetener equivalent), and 1 tsp baking soda. Mix together thoroughly braking up any clumps. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt and combine: ¼ cup butter or coconut oil, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and 3 tbsp water. Melt and stir together until combined then bring to a low boil and remove from heat. (I have flash backs of Willie Wonka’s chocolate river during this step).
- Pour the hot chocolate mixture onto the coconut flour sweetener mixture. Stir together thoroughly.
- Add to the mixture: 2 eggs, the 3 tbsp coconut or almond milk + ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, and ½ tsp vanilla extract. Mix together well using a large spoon.
- Add the finely chopped or smashed raspberries to the batter and lightly stir into the batter.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups or pan. Fill ⅔ of each cup. I filled 9 cups.
- Bake at 400 F for 18 to 22 minutes, or until tooth pick comes out of center clean.
- Remove and let cupcake cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling, you can make the frosting.
- Take the coconut milk can out of freezer and open it (it should be solid, if not put it back in for a while and check later)
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine with electric beater: cream cheese or ½ cup solid coconut milk cream, ½ tsp lemon juice, ½ tso vanilla extract, and sweetener of choice (either 1 tbsp honey, or for low carb use ⅓ tsp liquid stevia). Mix together until just combined. Put frosting in fridge until cupcakes have cooled enough to frost.
- Using a butter knife, frost each cupcake with equal amounts of the frosting.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipes you MayAlso Enjoy:
Related Posts Across the Web: