I took my favorite family recipe (that was not grain free, and involved a frozen pastry pie crust), and tweaked it, to make a primal and paleo version.
It took a few trial runs before I found a comparable version of the original.
It also has a very low carb count, only 3.1 net carb per slice! Can also be made without the crust, and then it is only 2.2 net carbs per slice.
- 1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup Golden Flax Meal . can sub flax with1/4 cup more almond flour
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese* optional can be omitted for dairy free or paleo.
- 2 Tbsp Melted Grass Fed Butter or Coconut oil
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- HAMBURGER PIE FILLING:
- 1 Lb Ground Beef browned and drained.
- 1 Ounce Can 8 Organic Tomato Sauce or puree . only ingredients are tomatoes
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp Golden Flax Meal * can omit, but meat filling will be less firm., golden tastes better
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese* optional can be omitted for diary free or paleo.
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt.
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder * optional
- PIE TOPPING:
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1 Tbsp Milk of Choice ( Organic Half and Half unsweetened Almond milk, or Organic Heavy Cream).
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard Powder ( do not omit this is a key ingredient)
- 1/2 Cup grated Cheese of Choice * optional can be omitted for dairy free or paleo..
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix the crust ingredients together until dough forms.
- Press dough into greased pie pan.
- Set aside, and do not bake yet.
- Brown ground beef in a pan on medium high, then drain excess grease from meat.
- In large bowl, mix the ground beef in with the rest of the hamburger pie filling ingredients.
- Spoon hamburger filling mixture into pie crust, and spread around.
- In medium bowl, whisk all the pie topping ingredients, except the cheese.
- Pour the pie topping egg mixture over the top of the hamburger mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the pie.
- Bake at 375 F for around 20 to 30 minutes, or until topping is set and somewhat firm. Check carefully while baking, and make sure not to burn crust.
- Can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated overnight for extra firmness, and to intensify flavors. Can also be served once cooled (don't cut until it's cooled).
Nutritional Data for one slice of pie with Crust and Without any Cheese: Cal: 322, Fat: 23 g, Carbs: 7.1 g / Net Carbs: 3.1 g, Fiber: 4.1 g, Protein: 20 g, Sugars: 1.5 g
Nutritional Data for one slice of pie Without Crust but With Cheeses: Cal: 177, Fat: 12 g, Carbs: 3.0 g / Net Carbs: 2.2 g, Fiber: 0.8 g, Sugars: 1 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*
Nut free hamburger pie recipe : Nut free Crust hamburger pie