I took my favorite family recipe (that was not grain free, and involved a frozen pastry pie crust), and tweaked it, to make a primal and paleo version.
It took a few trial runs before I found a comparable version of the original.
It also has a very low carb count, only 3.1 net carb per slice! Can also be made without the crust, and then it is only 2.2 net carbs per slice.
- 1 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup Golden Flax Meal . can sub flax with1/4 cup more almond flour
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese* optional can be omitted for dairy free or paleo.
- 2 Tbsp Melted Grass Fed Butter or Coconut oil
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- HAMBURGER PIE FILLING:
- 1 Lb Ground Beef browned and drained.
- 1 Ounce Can 8 Organic Tomato Sauce or puree . only ingredients are tomatoes
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp Golden Flax Meal * can omit, but meat filling will be less firm., golden tastes better
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese* optional can be omitted for diary free or paleo.
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt.
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder * optional
- PIE TOPPING:
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1 Tbsp Milk of Choice ( Organic Half and Half unsweetened Almond milk, or Organic Heavy Cream).
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard Powder ( do not omit this is a key ingredient)
- 1/2 Cup grated Cheese of Choice * optional can be omitted for dairy free or paleo..
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix the crust ingredients together until dough forms.
- Press dough into greased pie pan.
- Set aside, and do not bake yet.
- Brown ground beef in a pan on medium high, then drain excess grease from meat.
- In large bowl, mix the ground beef in with the rest of the hamburger pie filling ingredients.
- Spoon hamburger filling mixture into pie crust, and spread around.
- In medium bowl, whisk all the pie topping ingredients, except the cheese.
- Pour the pie topping egg mixture over the top of the hamburger mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the pie.
- Bake at 375 F for around 20 to 30 minutes, or until topping is set and somewhat firm. Check carefully while baking, and make sure not to burn crust.
- Can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated overnight for extra firmness, and to intensify flavors. Can also be served once cooled (don't cut until it's cooled).
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional Data for one slice of pie with Crust and Without any Cheese: Cal: 322, Fat: 23 g, Carbs: 7.1 g / Net Carbs: 3.1 g, Fiber: 4.1 g, Protein: 20 g, Sugars: 1.5 g
Nutritional Data for one slice of pie Without Crust but With Cheeses: Cal: 177, Fat: 12 g, Carbs: 3.0 g / Net Carbs: 2.2 g, Fiber: 0.8 g, Sugars: 1 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*
Nut free hamburger pie recipe : Nut free Crust hamburger pie