Hunk O Burning Love Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Cake is a grain free, paleo, vegetarian, dairy free, with a lower carb version, chocolate cake with banana ice cream and a nut (or nut free) butter magic shell drizzle that Elvis would have loved.
Named after an Elvis song that my kids think is hilarious, and also inspired by his love of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Only there is not any peanut butter in it, because I used almond butter or sunflower seed butter. The recipe also includes nut free and sugar free options.
My son wanted an ice cream cake for Valentine’s Day but he can’t have dairy and I can’t have gluten, so it was a challenge for me. Baskin Robbins will not have this kind of ice cream cake. I made an effort to make this cake as simple as I could, although an ice cream layer cake is a little more involved than making cookies.
I know my son was sad about all those birthday parties that had an ice cream cake that he couldn’t have. I have been promising him that I would make one that both of us could enjoy, and it would better than the processed, store bought cakes.
He was so very happy with how awesome it turned out, and the whole family devoured it. Only now, my husband wants an ice cream cake in his favorite flavor: mint chocolate chip! I may have created a monster, lol. You can use a spring form cake pan or regular cake pan, but I used this really adorable heart shaped spring form cake pan: Heart Shape Spring Form Pan
Hunk O Burning Love Chocolate Banana Ice Cream Cake, paleo
- Chocolate Cake:
- ½ cup coconut flour sifted,where to buy coconut flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or for low carb (sugar free) option use ¾ cup monk fruit sweetener, where to buy monk fruit sweetener, paleo
- 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder where to buy cacao
- ⅓ cup oil of choice: organic red palm oil or ghee, or coconut oil, where to buy red palm oil
- ½ cup water
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar mixed in a separate small bowl (makes dairy free buttermilk)
- 1 tsp organic GF vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Dairy Free Banana Ice Cream
- 2 to 3 ripe bananas chopped
- 1 can coconut milk full fat kind.
- 1 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp honey or monk fruit sweetener for low carb sugar free
- Optional Nut Butter Magic shell Drizzle or nut free
- 1 ½ tbsp almond butter or sunflower seed butter for nut free option
- 1 ½ tbsp . coconut oil
- 2 tsp honey or for low carb (sugar free) option use ⅓ tsp stevia liquid, where to buy stevia liquid
- In a blender combine all the banana ice cream ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into a container, cover and freeze until ice cream is soft serve texture (not hard frozen but not liquid).
- While ice cream is freezing you can start making the chocolate cake.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease a 9 inch spring form pan or cake pan
- In a large ceramic or metal mixing bowl combine: ½ cup sifted coconut flour, ¾ cup coconut sugar or monk fruit sweetener. Mix together well.
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat combine: ⅓ cup oil of choice, 2 tbsp. cocoa or cacao powder and ½ cup water. Stir and heat until just boiling. Once boiling pour cocoa powder-oil mixture over coconut flour mixture. Stir together.
- Add to the mixing bowl: 3 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ⅓ cup milk of choice mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 tsp baking soda. Mix together thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared 9 inch spring form pan or cake pan, and spread batter around evenly.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and cool completely, then put in fridge until ice cream is ready.
- Once ice cream is frozen to a soft serve texture, spoon onto top of cake and spread around evenly with a rubber spreader.
- Cover ice cream cake and put back in freezer for at least 5 hours or longer until ice cream is firm.
- Take out of freezer and defrost for 7 to 10 minutes before cutting and eating (if it is easy to cut the cake layer then it is ready to eat)
- Can also make nut or seed butter magic shell drizzle: heat and stir all magic shell ingredients in a small sauce pan on medium low until melted and combined. Drizzle on frozen ice cream cake (will solidify on contact with cold).
- Once cake is a little defrosted but ice cream is not melted, cut and serve. Keep left overs in freezer, and just defrost a little before serving again.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.