Low Carb Pumpkin Bagels
Grain free, gluten free, low carb pumpkin bagels with paleo version. So good!
Low Carb Pumpkin Bagels are grain-free, starch-free, nut-free, with dairy-free and paleo options.
A great way to enjoy the beginning of Fall with a healthy, low-carb, pumpkin bagel. These were tasty and served with butter, cream cheese, or coconut butter.
I do recommend refrigerating them overnight before slicing them in half and serving.
It seems to make them more sturdy and even enhances the flavors. Since I didn't use any gums in the recipe, refrigerating overnight really helps.
We did eat some before refrigerating, and they were good, but a little more delicate, and a less intense flavor.
You could, however, use a ½ teaspoon xanthan gum, if you tolerate it well. I didn't use it, as I don't always tolerate it well.
I was going to post this recipe earlier, but I just was not ready for it to be October yet.
Now it's here, and I need to get organized, and ready for all the holidays. This means a few pumpkin recipes, of course!
Where to buy the bagel pan: Bagel Pan
Low Carb Pumpkin Bagels
- ⅓ cup coconut flour sifted
- 3 tablespoon golden flax meal where to buy golden flax meal
- 3 eggs beaten.
- 2 tablespoon butter or coconut oil melted, where to buy coconut oil
- ¼ cup Milk of choice: ¼ unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree make sure pumpkin is the only ingredient
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (get organic gluten free kind like this one).
- 1 ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice where to buy pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt.
- tablespoon Sweetener of choice:1 ½ honey or maple syrup 0r coconut sugar for paleo version or for low carb use 1 ½ tablespoon erythritol + 15 drops stevia liquid
- ½ teaspoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar mixed in separate pinch bowl . will be very fizzy
- Kitchen tools:
- Bagel or donut pan where to buy the bagel pan
- 2 large mixing bowls.
- 1 pinch bowl . small bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease or oil generously a bagel or donut pan.
- In large mixing bowl combine: sifted coconut flour, golden flax meal, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix together well. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine: eggs, pumpkin puree, milk of choice, vanilla extract, sweetener of choice, and melted butter or coconut oil.
- Mix baking soda and apple cider vinegar together in pinch bowl. Add baking soda- apple cider vinegar mixture to egg mixture and stir together.
- Add egg mixture to coconut flour mixture. Stir thoroughly until batter in smooth
- Spoon Batter into pan forms and spread around with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Wipe the center, hole part of the form clean with a damp paper towel.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are browned and firm.
- Remove from oven, and cool completely before removing from pan. Using a butter knife in-between bagel and pan edges then slide around to loosen and lift out.
- Can be served whole, or turned up on its side and sliced in half, being careful not to apply too much pressure.*For a firmer texture, refrigerate overnight, then slice in half.* Can be pan toasted on each side (in a fry pan with a little butter or coconut oil & flipped over to brown both sides) or toast in a toaster oven.* Do not use a regular, pop-up toaster as it is a little delicate for that.*
- Serve with butter or cream cheese for low carb and primal, or serve with honey or coconut butter for paleo.
- Enjoy 🙂