Paleo Chocolate Chip Coconut Cashew Cookies
Paleo Chocolate Chip Coconut Cashew Cookies are easy to make, grain free, gluten free, with low carb version and dairy free options.
I realized that I don’t have chocolate chip cookie recipe on my site. I have all kinds of different cookie recipes on here, but not a plain chocolate chip one. Alright, this is not exactly a plain chocolate chip cookie recipe, but it definitely could be made as a plain one. I could not resist sort of remaking my Mom’s treasure cookie recipe.
Treasure cookies had chocolate chips, shredded coconut and always some type of nut.
Since these are made with cashew meal and coconut flour, I did not add extra nuts. Not to mention my youngest child will not eat cookies with nuts. He likes nuts just not in cookies or banana bread. I know it does not make sense, but I don’t question it.
If you don’t have cashew meal, it is easy to make by grinding up raw cashew pieces in a magic bullet type blender or food processor. If that is too ambitious for you, then you could buy it at Trader Joes, or you could substitute with the same amount almond flour. You could also leave out the shredded coconut flakes for a more ordinary chocolate chip cookie.
- 1 cup cashew meal or flour where to buy cashew meal
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 ½ tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut flakes *optional
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or can use coconut milk
- ¼ cup butter melted or can use coconut oil, melted
- cup Sweetener of choice: ¼ coconut sugar for paleo or for low carb use ¼ cup erythritol, I used Swerve
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt *optional
- 3 tbsp Enjoy life chocolate chips or for low carb use stevia sweetened chocolate chips, or chopped low carb chocolate bar.
- Preheat oven at 350 F and grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine: 1 egg, 2 tbsp almond milk, and ¼ cup melted butter. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add to egg mixture: 1 cup cashew meal, 1 tbsp coconut flour, 2 ½ tbsp shredded coconut, ¼ cup sweetener of choice, ½ tsp baking soda and 1/8 tsp sea salt. Mix together thoroughly, breaking up any clumps.
- Add chocolate chips or chopped chocolate to the cookie dough batter and stir in.
- Place a tbsp sized spoonful onto prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch space between each cookie.
- Bake at 350 F for 11 to 13 minutes, or until browned on the bottom of cookie, (mine where done at 11 mins)
- Let cool completely before removing and serving. Store leftovers in container in fridge.
Nutritional Data for Low Carb Version (using Swerve sweetener and stevia sweetened chocolate chips): Servings: 14, Serving size: 1 cookie of 14, Cal:92, Carbs: 3.6 g / Net Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 0.6 g, Fat: 7.9 g, Protein: 2 g, Sugar: 1 g,
Nutritional Data for Paleo Version (using coconut sugar and Enjoy life chocolate chips):Servings: 1 of 14 cookies, Cal:116, Carbs: 7 g / Net Carbs: 6.4 g, Fiber: 0.6 g, Fat: 7.9 g, Protein: 2 g, Sugar: 1 g, sugar: 5 g,
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*