Lemon Cream Sandwich Cookies are grain free, with Paleo and low carb versions.
Lemon Cream Sandwich Cookies are grain free lemon almond cookies with a lemon cream filling. Only six ingredients for the cookies, and three ingredients in the cream filling. Can be Paleo friendly or low carb depending on the sweetener you use. Sweet and refreshing, these are perfect with tea or coffee.
Recipe and Directions on Printable Card Below:
- Lemon Cookies:
- 2 cups almond flour like this one
- ¾ cup granulated sweetener of choice: coconut sugar for low carb use erythritol sweetener, like this one, for paleo
- 2 large egg whites I used this egg separator
- 1 tsp baking powder this is a corn free brand
- 1 tsp lemon zest I use this micro plane to zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice I used this lemon squeezer
- Lemon Cream Filling:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened or whipped heavy cream, I use this stick blender for whipping
- ½ tsp lemon extract like this one
- tsp sweetener of choice: 2 honey for paleo or for low carb use ¼ tsp liquid stevia (or to taste), or other low carb sweetener equivalent
- Preheat oven to 300 F, and grease or line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the lemon cookie ingredients. Mix together thoroughly.
- Place cookie dough in mixing bowl, in the freezer for 15 minutes (helps cookies bake without spreading too much).
- Once cookie dough is chilled in freezer, use a cookie scoop or spoon to place rounded 1/2 tbsp size spoonfuls on the sheet about 1 ½ inches apart. I put 12 spoonfuls on each sheet (24 total)
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Place sheet with cookies on it in the freezers for 8 to 10 minutes (this will let you spread the lemon cream without it melting).
- While cookies are chilling, make the lemon cream filling. In a medium mixing bowl combine all the lemon cream filling ingredients. Mix together.
- Take one cookie, bottom side facing up, and spread a tbsp of lemon cream on it. Then place 2nd cookie, bottom side down, on top of the cream and gently press the 2 cookies together. Repeat with remaining cookies. Enjoy.
- Store remaining in covered container in freezer. Defrost a before serving.
Nutritional Data for Paleo Version (using coconut sugar & honey sweetener option and coconut cream): Serving Size: 1 sandwich out of 12, Cal: 196, Protein: 5 g, Carbs: 16 g/ Net carbs: 14 g, Fiber: 2 g, Fat: 13 g, Sugars: 13 g, Sodium: 5 mg
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*