Chicken Bacon Biscuit Pot Pie-
Paleo, grain free and low carb, this is a chicken pot pie with a bacon biscuit crust.
This savory Chicken bacon biscuit pot pie is grain free, paleo and low carb. Chicken and veggies in a mushroom gravy that is topped with a grain free, bacon infused biscuit crust. If you tolerate dairy,then you can also add cheese to the crust.
Oh my goodness, this pie was a hit with my family, and even he veggies were tasty in this. This is a healthy pot pie that you can feel good about eating. Loaded with protein, fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats.
I used a 1/2 tsp of arrowroot powder to slightly thicken the gravy, but I am aware that it is higher carb ingredient, although not in this small amount. It is optional, as the gravy was fairly thick enough without it. However, it did not really add any significant amount of carbs to the recipe in that tiny amount and it is grain free.
*Recipe at bottom of the post in the printable recipe card*
Chicken Bacon Biscuit Pot Pie
- MUSHROOM GRAVY
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth divided into ¼ cup and 1 ¼ cup (homemade or organic is best)
- ¼ tsp sea salt *optional
- ½ tsp arrowroot powder + ½ tsp cold water * optional mixed separately in a pinch bowl
- PIE FILLING
- 2 ½ cups cooked chopped chicken or turkey
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- BACON BISCUIT CRUST
- 1 ½ cups ground or riced raw cauliflower use a blender or processor to grind into rice texture
- 2 tbsp coconut flour or can substitute with 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk of choice: unsweetened unflavored almond milk or heavy cream
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt *optional
- 1 tsp baking powder here is a corn free, brand
- 3 slices cooked chopped bacon
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar * optional omit for paleo
- Preheat oven to 400F, and grease or oil a 9 x13 inch (2 quart) casserole dish.
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat, melt butter until foamy. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms are browned. Remove from heat to cool a little.
- In a blender or processor, add ¼ cup chicken broth. Once onions and mushrooms are warm not hot, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic and butter to the blender with the chicken broth. Blend until a smooth puree forms.
- Pour mushroom puree back into the fry pan again and put on medium .high heat. Add the remaining 1 ¼ cups chicken broth, and ¼ tsp sea salt to mushroom puree. Stir together and heat until bubbling,then turn down heat to low. Add the optional arrowroot powder and cold water slurry (make sure they are mixed together well before adding) , while continuously stirring. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place chopped chicken, chopped broccoli, and diced carrots on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour mushroom gravy over the top of the chicken veggies. Mix the ingredients around in the dish. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the bacon biscuit crust ingredients. Mix until a pasty dough forms. Spread the dough on top of chicken mixture in pan. Spread the dough across the top with a rubber scraper or the back of a spoon. Make sure to spread and cover the top of casserole.
- Bake at 400 F for 30 to 35 minutes.
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*
Nutritional Data: Serving size: 1 serving out of 9 servings, Calories: 162, Fat: 8 g, Saturated fat: 4 g, Unsaturated fat: 1 g, Trans fat: 0 g, Carbohydrates: 5.7 g / Net Carbs: 3.4 g,Sugar: 2 g, Sodium: 264 mg, without added sea salt: 85 mg, Fiber: 2.3 g,Protein: 16 g, Cholesterol: 85 mg,
Recipes You May Also Enjoy: