Quick Paleo Strawberry Lemon Shortcake-
Quick Paleo Strawberry Lemon Shortcake is also keto, low carb, and simple to make.
A fast low carb & paleo strawberry shortcake with cream & berries.
A delicious, fast, single-serve, creamy strawberry, lemon shortcake treat for the end of summer.
I wanted to make one more recipe with strawberries before summer ends.
This one has a paleo and a low carb version. It can be made quickly in the microwave, or baked in the oven, for those of you who don't have or use the microwave.
I gave different options for people trying to avoid grains, dairy, starches, and nuts.
For some reason, this tastes like a lemon twinkie with strawberries.
Also, if you are not a lemon lover, or just want a more traditional shortcake, then swap the lemon extract with vanilla extract, and leave out the lemon zest.
This recipe was adapted from my Quick Paleo English Muffin recipe that is also on this site at Quick Paleo English muffins.
Making the quick & easy shortcake and slicing the berries.
Whipping the cream or coconut cream with lemon, sweetener and zest.
Layering the cream and berries on the shortcake.
Add shortcake half on top.
Garnish with whipped cream & berries.
The recipe and directions are in the recipe box at the bottom of the page.
Recipe and Directions:
Quick Paleo Strawberry Lemon Shortcake
- LEMON SHORTCAKE:
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or butter melted
- 2 ½ teaspoon milk of choice: unsweetened almond or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract , can use vanilla extract instead for non lemon version.
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice can omit for non lemon version.
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest can leave out for non lemon version.
- Sweetener of choice: 2 teaspoon honey for paleo, or 6 drops stevia + 1 teaspoon Swerve (erythritol) sweetener for low carb option.
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda + ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar mixed in separate pinch bowl (starch free option), or can use ½ teaspoon baking powder instead.
- 3 strawberries sliced.
- ¼ teaspoon honey or ⅛ teaspoon granular erythritol for low carb * optional, for sprinkling on berries, can omit if berries are ripe., paleo
- WHIPPED FILLING AND TOPPING:
- ⅓ cup coconut cream or heavy whipping cream.
- ½ teaspoon honey or 8 drops liquid stevia for low carb.
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract or lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest.
- In small glass or ceramic ramekin or bowl (6 ounce works well), combine: melted oil or butter, beaten egg, milk of choice, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sweetener of choice.
- Add sifted coconut flour to ramekin and mix in vigorously, scraping the sides of bowl.
- Combine in separate pinch bowl: baking soda and apple cider vinegar (will be very fizzy), or skip this step if using baking powder.
- Add baking soda-apple cider vinegar mixture to ramekin (or baking powder, if using that option) and mix in thoroughly.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or bake at 400 for 12 minutes. Let cake cool a little. Use a knife between sides of cake and bowl and slide around to loosen (as seen in photo above). Remove from ramekin and let cool a little more. Use a long knife to cut in half sideways (as seen in photo above). Set aside.
- Put all whipped topping ingredients in a small bowl and use immersion hand blender or hand mixer to whip until whipped topping forms.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of whipped topping on half of shortcake cake (as seen in photo above). Layer strawberry slices on top of whipped topping. Drizzle with optional honey or sprinkle with optional stevia. Place other half of shortcake, with rounded side facing up, on top of strawberry layer (as seen in photo above).
- Top the cake with another tablespoon of whipped cream.
- Serve and enjoy.