Sopa De Lima (Yucatan Chicken Chili Lime Soup)-
A low-carb, gluten-free paleo-friendly version of Sopa De Lima. A super flavorful, colorful soup inspired by a classic soup from the Mayan Riviera.
Many years ago, I discovered this amazing Yucatan lime soup called Sopa De Lima (soup of the lime) while exploring Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
Located in the southern Caribbean side of Mexico, which is such a gorgeous area with amazingly beautiful people & delicious cuisine!
I just had to recreate this wonderful soup at home. Then, I had to give it a makeover once again years later to make it a paleo/ low carb diet-friendly recipe.
Fortunately, It tastes the same, even after I removed the refined ingredients. My family did not notice any difference.
The chicken , chilis, garlic, lime, tomatoes with optional avocado and cilantro make for a colorful and super flavorful soup that will become a favorite recipe.
Here are some other yummy low carb soup recipes to try: Comforting Low Carb Soup Recipe Collection
This is my Dad"s favorite soup, and he always requests it, when he visits. It's a delicious Yucatan delight, that is very simple to make.
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Sopa De Lima
- 4 Chicken breast halves.
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder.
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder.
- 4 Cups Organic Chicken Broth or homemade Chicken broth . be sure to get the gluten free kind
- 2 in Serrano Chile Peppers Cut and scrape out all seeds & Chop small pieces (can use hotter peppers if your spicy).
- 4 Cloves to 5 Garlic peeled and minced.
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- ½ of an Onion chopped * optional, not everybody likes onions.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Juice of 2 Limes
- ½ teaspoon Lime Zest * optional
- 2 tablespoon fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Avocado peeled and chopped.
- Dash Sea Salt* optional
- Preheat Oven to 400 F, and line or oil a baking dish.
- Place chicken in dish and sprinkle with chili powder and garlic powder.
- Bake Chicken for 20 minutes.
- while chicken is baking, put a large stock pot on stove top.
- Add Olive oil to stock pot, then saute : Minced Garlic, Serrano peppers, and Minced Onion, in stock pot for 3 minutes, or until veggies are softening.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes to the stock pot and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Add Chicken broth and Lime juice to the stock pot and stir, put heat on low.
- Remove chicken from oven when done, and cool just enough to chop into bite size pieces.
- Add Chopped Chicken to stock pot, and stir.
- Bring stock pot to a boil, then reduce heat to Low, and cover pot with lid.
- Simmer for 20 Minutes.
- Place some Chopped Avocado chunks into each individual serving bowl. * Do not throw avocado into cooking soup pot, it gets gross.
- Pour Soup over avocado in serving bowls.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- Can add Sea Salt to taste.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Facts: Yield: 4 to 5, Serving size: 1 cup,( 8 ounces) Calories: 174 Fat: 11.5 g Carbohydrates: 11 g / Net Carbs: 7 g, Sugar: 2.7 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 7.1 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used
I'm confused by some of the ingredients.
Cup Juice of 2 Limes or ⅓ Lime juice -- Does this mean juice of 2 limes, approx 1/3 cup?
2 in Serrano Chile Peppers Cut and scrape out all seeds & Chop small pieces (can use hotter peppers if your spicy). -- Does this mean 2 Serrano peppers chopped small?
I think I understand the rest.
Hi Patti, I'm sorry, the new recipe cards sometimes change the format a little. It is juice or 2 limes (approximately 1/3 cup lime juice).
This soup is awesome! Made it tonight and am already thinking when I’m gonna make it again. Yum!
Thank you so much, Deb, for trying the recipe and for your kind comments! 🙂
Thank you so much, Deb. I need to make this soup again, it is so good!
does this recipe do well with doubling or tripling?
Tammy, Yes I'm sure you could double or triple it. I have doubled it before.