Many years ago, I discovered this amazing Yucatan lime soup called Sopa De Lima in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.
I had to recreate it at home. Then, I had to give it a make over again, once I changed to a somewhat paleo/ low carb diet. Fortunately, It tastes the same,even after I removed the refined ingredients. My family did not notice any difference.
This is my Dad”s favorite soup, and he always requests it, when he visits. It’s a delicious Yucatan delight, that is very simple to make.
- 4 Chicken breast halves.
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder.
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder.
- 4 Cups Organic Chicken Broth or homemade Chicken broth . be sure to get the gluten free kind
- 2 in Serrano Chile Peppers Cut and scrape out all seeds & Chop small pieces (can use hotter peppers if your spicy).
- 4 Cloves to 5 Garlic peeled and minced.
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 of an Onion chopped * optional, not everybody likes onions.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Cup Juice of 2 Limes or 1/3 Lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Lime Zest * optional
- 2 Tbsp fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Avocado peeled and chopped.
- Dash Sea Salt* optional
- Preheat Oven to 400 F, and line or oil a baking dish.
- Place chicken in dish and sprinkle with chili powder and garlic powder.
- Bake Chicken for 20 minutes.
- while chicken is baking, put a large stock pot on stove top.
- Add Olive oil to stock pot, then saute : Minced Garlic, Serrano peppers, and Minced Onion, in stock pot for 3 minutes, or until veggies are softening.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes to the stock pot and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Add Chicken broth and Lime juice to the stock pot and stir, put heat on low.
- Remove chicken from oven when done, and cool just enough to chop into bite size pieces.
- Add Chopped Chicken to stock pot, and stir.
- Bring stock pot to a boil, then reduce heat to Low, and cover pot with lid.
- Simmer for 20 Minutes.
- Place some Chopped Avocado chunks into each individual serving bowl. * Do not throw avocado into cooking soup pot, it gets gross.
- Pour Soup over avocado in serving bowls.
- Garnish with Cilantro.
- Can add Sea Salt to taste.
Nutrition Facts: Yield: 4 to 5, Serving size: 1 cup,( 8 ounces) Calories: 174 Fat: 11.5 g Carbohydrates: 11 g / Net Carbs: 6.9 g, Sugar: 2.7 g Fiber: 4.1 g Protein: 7.1 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*