While visiting the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico last summer, I became obsessed with their delicious Mofongo. I must have ate at least 5 different kinds. I learned to make it, but had to change it a little to make it more Paleo friendly.
It can be made as a side dish, or topped with marinated beef, chicken, or shrimp as a main-dish.
Mofongo Puerto Rican Style Plantains
- 3 Large Green Plantains not yellow or red ones ( do not sub with banana)
- 4 Cups Organic Chicken Broth or Home made chicken broth
- 3 Coves Garlic Peeled and Chopped.
- 5 Slices of Bacon ( uncured nitrate free kind)
- ⅓ Cup fresh Cilantro chopped
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic Peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon Himilayan Sea Salt * optional
- ½ Lb to 1 Marinated and cooked Beef, Chicken or Shrimp ( I marinate mine in a sauce of : 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, 3 tablespoon cilantro, 2 tablespoon lime juice and 1 tablespoon vinegar, then bake for 20 or more minutes in 400 F oven.) * optional, omit if making this a side dish.
- Put on some rubber gloves, really do it, plantains stain your skin and nails black.
- Chop ends off plantains.
- Score ,with sharp knife, the plantains down each rib, about four lines.
- Wedge your fingers or a spoon between plantain and the peel ,then slide down until each scored section of the peel comes off.* might take a little practice.
- Chop Plantains into small slices, and add to a stock pot.
- Pour chicken broth over plantains in pot.
- Add 3 cloves chopped Garlic to broth, and bring pot to a boil.
- turn heat down to medium, cover pot and boil for 25 to 30 minutes, or until plantains are really soft.
- while Plantains are cooking, Fry Bacon slices till crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and set on paper towels.
- Add 4 cloves of minced Garlic to bacon grease in pan, and saute until softened.
- Chop bacon into crumbles.
- Add: bacon, garlic with a little bacon grease, chopped cilantro, and olive oil to a food processor.
- Process until a paste forms, remove paste and put in a bowl, and set aside.
- Drain cooked plantains in a colander.
- Place plantains back in the warm pot and mash with a potato masher or electric hand beater.
- Mash or beat until it forms a "lumpy mash potato" consistency.
- Add the bacon cilantro paste to your mashed plantains, and stir in well.
- Separate mashed plantains into 4 lumps.
- Mold each lump on a plate with your clean hands, (sorry, o.c.d moment).
- you can do a dome shape, or I make a dome then flatten the top ( like a plateau shape)
- Put marinated meat over top for main dish, or leave plain for a side dish.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.