Haupia is a Hawaiian gelatin made from coconut milk. It is very delicious and refreshing. In the North shore of Oahu there is a Chocolate Haupia Pie that is crazy good. But, since I have dietary restrictions, I can no longer enjoy the Chocolate Haupia Pie from Ted’s Bakery. It was my favorite pie. I just had to make a Paleo friendly version and a low carb version. These yummy bars are the result. They really taste quite similar, only much healthier. Now I can go to Oahu and resist Ted’s naughty pie. This can be made with or without the crust. Can be made low carb as well.
Chocolate Haupia Bars: chocolate coconut milk gelatin
- Optional Crust Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup coconut Flour where to buy coconut flour
- 1/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil or grass fed Butter, Where to buy coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Honey for paleo or 20 drops liquid stevia for low carb option.
- 1 Egg
- Chocolate Haupia Ingredients:
- 1 Oz Can Coconut Milk 14
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar for paleo or for low carb use 1 cup erythritol or equivalent low carb sweetener.
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened Coconut Butter store bought or home made *optional
- 1 tsp Organic Coconut Extract * optional
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk Or Coconut Milk for nut free.
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened Organic Cocoa or Cacao Powder
- 1/4 Cup Melted Dark Chocolate Chips for paleo ( gluten free dairy free kind), for low carb use 1 square unsweetened chocolate with low carb sweetener to taste.
- 3 tbsps Envelopes or 2 1/2 Unflavored unsweetened Gelatin, where to buy gelatin
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Optional Topping:
- 2 tsp Coconut Butter
- 1 Tbsp to 2 Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat Oven to 400 F.
- Mix all Crust ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- Grease or oil a Square 8x8 pan.
- Form crust into a dough ball and press into greased pan until bottom of pan is covered with a layer of the dough.
- Bake crust for 9 to 10 minutes.
- Set crust aside, and let cool. *( can skip above steps if making without crust).
- In a saucepan over low to medium low heat, mix coconut Milk and coconut sugar or swerve sweetener.
- Add coconut butter and coconut extract to saucepan, and stir.
- Add 1 cup Almond Milk, or more coconut milk and stir.
- Whisk in Cocoa Powder and melted Chocolate.
- In a glass measuring cup, add 3 Gelatin Envelopes to 1/2 Cup Water, and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add Gelatin mixture to the saucepan and stir.
- Remove saucepan from heat, and cool for a minute or two.
- Pour Mixture from saucepan over the Crust in the pan.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight.
- When gelatin is set, Melt coconut butter and chocolate chip topping together.
- Stir then drizzle over top of bars, put back in fridge for a minute to harden topping.* Optional
- Can Garnish with dried, unsweetened Coconut Flakes.* optional
- Cut into bars and serve.