Strawberry Rhubarb Paleo Mini Tarts with Chia Seeds
Strawberry Rhubarb Paleo Mini Tarts with chia seeds are a paleo fruit tart on a grain free coconut flour pie crust, with a low carb version. Could use frozen strawberries and rhubarb if these are not in season.
My husband brought home a giant flat of organic strawberries, and my dad, who grows loads of rhubarb, needed a recipe to use up the rhubarb. So, I have been busy making all sorts of recipes that could use up the strawberries. This one came out really tasty, even though the coconut sugar turned the rhubarb light brown. They do look a little like chocolate, but it is just rhubarb.
If the mini tart making is too tedious, then you could just make a large whole tart. I made both, because I had so many strawberries. What is rhubarb, you ask? It is a vegetable, but it is sweet and sour tasting. It looks like red colored celery.
If you can't find rhubarb then just double up on the strawberries, and have strawberry tarts. Do not be afraid of rhubarb, it is really delicious.
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Strawberry Rhubarb Paleo Mini Tarts
- TART FILLING:
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries hulled and cut in half.
- 2 to 3 large stalks of rhubarb chopped.
- ⅓ Cup of coconut flour.
- ¾ Cup sweetener of choice: organic coconut sugar for paleo or for Low Carb use ¾ Cup Swerve or other low carb sweetener equivalent.
- 1 ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoon cold water.
- TART CRUST:
- ½ Cup Coconut Flour.
- ⅓ Cup Melted Grass Fed Butter or melted Coconut oil.
- 1 Egg.
- 2 teaspoon Coconut sugar or 2 teaspoon honey, or 12 drops stevia liquid for low carb.
- Preheat Oven to 400 F, and oil a muffin pan or a pie pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the ⅓ cup coconut flour with the ¾ cup coconut sugar.
- Add strawberry halves and chopped rhubarb, and toss with the flour/ coconut sugar.
- Let fruit and flour/ sweetener mix sit in bowl for 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix 1 ½ teaspoon chia seeds and 1 ½ tablespoon water and put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- while waiting for fruit to set, start making tart crust.
- Mix in large bowl: ½ cup coconut flour, ⅓ cup melted butter or melted coconut oil, one egg, and 2 teaspoon coconut sugar.
- Mix until pie dough forms ( looks like play dough).
- Press small balls of dough into a muffin pan for mini tarts, or whole dough ball into a pie tin for whole tart.
- Take chia seed mix out of fridge and add to fruit mixture, and stir into fruit.
- Add spoonfuls of fruit mixture to fill the crusts in muffin pan or the crust in pie tin.
- Bake in oven for 13 to 16 minutes for mini tarts, or 20 to 25 minutes for whole pie pan. Make sure to check at shortest time to see if edges of crust are browned.
- Let cool completely, and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight to let filling set.
- Do not cut into before refrigerated, it won't be firm and set.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
can almond flour be substituted for the coconut flour? severe coconut allergy is in the house. 🙁
You can use almond flour but will have to use 4 times the amount.