Chocolate Orange Cookies are my latest paleo/ low carb, experiment that have become a new obsession. These are a lighter cookie with lovely chocolate and orange flavors. My Hubby said ” these cookies rock”. He is not much for sweets (I know, what is wrong with him). But, he ate most of these.
- 1/3 cup Coconut Flour where to buy coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour or Almond Meal.
- 2 Eggs.
- 3 tbsp Melted butter or melted coconut oil, where to buy coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest ( grated orange peel use a micro plane or fine grater).
- 1 tsp Organic Orange Extract where to buy orange extract., organic GF kind
- cup Sweetener of choice: 1/3 organic Maple Syrup or for low carb use 1/2 cup erythritol + 25 drops liquid stevia, where to buy stevia, for paleo
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Almond or Coconut milk.
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Cocoa or cacao powder where to buy cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar mixed in separate pinch bowl . it will be really fizzy
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes* optional
- 1/4 Cup dark chocolate chips soy & dairy free (I used this brand), for low carb can use a low carb chocolate bar, chopped).
- Optional Topping:
- tbsp Can also melt a 1 1/2 of dark chocolate chips with a drop or two of orange extract for garnish * both are optional. I also topped with a bit of extra orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and line or grease a baking sheet.
- Mix in large bowl: coconut flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, shredded coconut and set aside.
- Mix in a separate bowl ; eggs, almond or coconut milk, sweetener of choice ( maple syrup or low carb one, etc.), melted butter or melted coconut oil, orange zest, and orange extract.
- Add pre -mixed baking soda + apple cider vinegar mixture to egg / almond milk mixture and stir in well.
- Add liquid egg mixture to coconut flour mixture and stir in thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips,( or chopped low carb chocolate bar) and mix in well.
- Put bowl of cookie dough in freezer for 10 minutes ( this keeps it from spreading as it bakes) I like to go and wash dishes until the dough is cold.
- Spoon onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 13 to 16 minutes or until some what firm.
- Let cool completely, then garnish with optional melted chocolate and orange zest.
Nutritional Information for Low Carb Version: Serving Size; 1 cookie, Cal:74, Carbs: 4 g / Net Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 1 g Fat: 6 g Protein: 1 g Sugars: 2 g
*all nutritional data is an estimate based on the products I used*
Below is Nutritional Data for Paleo (maple syrup) Version: