Taco Burgers On Paleo Burger Buns
These grain free, low carb Taco Burgers on Paleo Burger Buns are taco flavored burgers, that are topped with chipotle mayonnaise, tomato, avocado and optional cheese.
The inspiration for these came to me on a camping trip. Yes, my family decided to take me camping, and away from internet access, cell phone reception and the busy salon I work at.
It was wonderful, but I do get a little stressed about going on a trip when I have Celiac, and the chances for getting cross contaminated on the road are pretty high. I always have to pack a lot of food and snacks for me that are safe.
I am always excessively hungry when camping with all the hiking swimming and running around. I was craving tacos and burgers, as they are a favorite food of mine. And that is when it hit me, and taco burgers were born. As soon as we returned home, I made these bad boys in my new stove top grill pan, and tried out a new burger bun recipe that I adapted from my paleo bagel recipe.
The buns were tasty, low carb and easy to make. They would be great on sandwiches too and are sturdy enough to toast in a toaster.
You can also get this cool bun and mini cake pan below for making burger buns in the oven: Burger Bun & Pie and Mini Cake Pan
*Recipe and directions at bottom of post on printable recipe card*
- Paleo Burger Buns Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp butter melted or coconut oil
- 2 ½ tbsp coconut flour sifted, where to buy coconut flour
- 2 ½ Tbsp golden flax meal
- 3 1/2 tbsp . unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, or heavy cream
- 4 eggs beaten
- ½ tsp baking soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or use use 1 tsp baking powder instead
- Taco Burgers Ingredients:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp organic taco seasoning mix
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Chipotle Mayonnaise Ingredients:
- 2 ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp chipotle powder
- Optional Toppings:
- I medium sliced tomato
- ½ an avocado sliced
- 4 slices cheese of choice I used pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F, unless using microwave. Lightly grease or oil 4 glass or ceramic ramekins or small glass bowls, or a bun pan can be used for oven, but not the microwave.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine all the burger bun ingredients and stir together vigorously, scraping the sides and breaking up any coconut flour clumps. Spoon equal amounts of batter into each ramekin, small bowl or bun pan. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until center is done, or if using microwave, then microwave each bun one at a time for 1 minute and 30 seconds or longer depending on microwave wattage.
- Remove from oven or microwave and cool completely. Cut each bun in half from on its side. Can toast these in toaster or toaster oven if desired.
- In a large mixing bowl combine: ground beef, taco seasoning mix, chipotle powder, and sea salt. Mix together with spoon or knead in with hands. Form burger meat into 4 round patties. Cook patties on the stove top in a large fry pan or grill pan over medium high heat. Fry or grill on each side for 6 minutes or more until desired doneness is achieved.
- In a medium bowl combine all the chipotle mayonnaise ingredients and stir until combined. Place taco burgers on buns, and top with some chipotle mayonnaise, optional cheese, tomato, and avocado slices.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Data for burger and one bun with all toppings and cheese: Servings: 1 of 4 servings, Cal: 600, Carbs: 7.5 g / Net Carbs: 2.5 g, Fiber: 5 g, Fat: 43 g, Protein: 45 g, Sugar: 1 g
Nutritional Data for burger and one bun with all toppings but without cheese: Servings: 1 of 4, cal: 521, Carbs: 7.5 g/ Net Carbs: 2.5 g, Fiber: 5 g, Fat: 37 g, Sugar: 1 g
Nutritional data for Burger with all toppings but without the bun and using a lettuce wrap: Servings: 1 of 4, Cal: 361, Carbs:3.7 g / Net Carbs: 2 g, Fiber: 1.7 g, Fat: 24 g, Protein: 33 g, Sugar: 1 g
Nutritional Data for just the Buns: Servings: 4, Serving size: 1 bun, Cal: 168, Carbs; 5g / Net Carbs: 2 g, Fiber: 3 g, Fat: 6 g, Proten: 8 g, Sugars:1 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*