Paleo Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits are paleo, gluten free and have low carb and dairy free options. First of all I can’t say the word parfait without quoting “Donkey from Shrek”. “Everyone loves parfaits, parfaits are delicious!” Okay, sorry, I had to get that out. But I do love parfaits and their layers of deliciousness.
This recipe has thick and creamy chocolate pudding, coconut cream or whipped heavy cream and sliced strawberries. I really enjoyed this recipe, making it, photographing it and devouring it. It brings me right back to the 70’s, with all its many puddings and Jello parfait recipes.
You can use any type of pudding container for these, but you could also use these fancy parfait cups : Parfait Cups
Recipe and directions at bottom of the post in the printable recipe card.
- Chocolate Pudding
- 1 ½ cups canned full fat coconut milk where to buy this
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- cup Sweetener of choice: 1/3 coconut sugar or for low carb use 1/3 cup erythritol or other low carb sweetener equivalent
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unflavored unsweetened gelatin 1 envelope
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Whipped Topping and berries
- ½ cup coconut cream or whipped heavy cream ( make coconut cream by freezing a can of full fat coconut milk for 30 minutes then open and remove solidified cream)
- tsp Sweetener of choice: 2 honey or for low carb use ¼ tsp liquid stevia
- 1/3 cup sliced strawberries
- Place 3 tbsp cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin over the water and whisk thoroughly with a small whisk or fork until all gelatin is dissolved and lump free. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat combine: 1 ½ cup coconut milk or heavy cream, 1 beaten egg yolk, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/3 cup sweetener of choice, 2 tbsp coconut oil, and ½ tsp vanilla extract. Use a whisk to vigorously whisk all ingredients together while heating. Continuously whisk until very smooth and lump free.
- Turn heat down to simmer and spoon in all the gelatin water mixture. Whisk the gelatin in while simmering. Whisk thoroughly to make sure all gelatin in mixed in and lump free.
- Once completely smooth and combined, remove from heat and cool.
- Once cooled, pour into one large container, then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until pudding is set.
- Once pudding is set, remove from fridge and stir a little. Divide pudding into four equal servings. Spoon a small amount of pudding into the bottom of four small (2 to 3 ounce) parfait or other type of containers.
- Mix either coconut cream or whipped heavy cream with sweetener of choice. Add a thin layer on top of each chocolate pudding layer. Layer some sliced strawberries on whipped topping layer. Then layer with a little more pudding. Top with a few strawberry slices and a small dollop of whipped topping.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional data for Low carb Version (using swerve sweetener and stevia): Servings: 1 of 4 servings, Cal: 305, Carbs: 8 g / Net Carbs: 6.3 g, Fiber: 1.7 g, Fat; 28 g, Protein: 5 g, Sugar: 2 g,
Nutritional data for paleo version (using coconut sugar and honey): Servings; 1 of four, cal: 335, Carbs; 17 g / Net Carbs: 15.3 g, Fiber; 1.7 g, Fat: 28 g, protein; 5 g, Sugar: 5 g,
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*