Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Noodle Bake
Buffalo chicken zucchini noodle bake is grain-free, primal, low carb with a paleo option. This came about from a quest to satisfy my cravings for buffalo chicken with cheesy macaroni.
But this version uses low-carb zucchini noodles and chicken with a creamy buffalo sauce.
This dish is also full of healthy veggies. The first batch I made was a little spicy and I loved it, but my hubby thought I was trying to burn him.
So I reworked the recipe to make it milder. I used 2 tablespoon of red pepper sauce in the second batch, but you could use 1 ½ tablespoon for a very mild batch.
This was pretty easy, budget-friendly, and you can use frozen chicken, as long as you cook it first or in advance.
I just pre-bake the chicken in the oven at 400 F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until done. Then cool and chop it up. This is filling, creamy, low-carb comfort food.
The zucchini noodles I made with a vegetable spiralizer like these ones:
Scroll to the bottom of the page for recipe, directions and printable recipe card
Creamy Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Noodle Bake
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 2 large or 3 smaller sized zucchini squash spiral cut in noodle shapes
- 1 medium stalk celery chopped finely
- 2 tablespoon red bell pepper chopped *optional
- 1 ½ tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup organic sour cream or can use ½ cup mayonnaise for paleo
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 ½ tablespoon to 2 red pepper sauce or to taste I used Frank’s original red pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened canned pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree found in the baby food section
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard spice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated, omit for paleo option.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil a 9X6X2 inch casserole dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine: 1 tablespoon butter or ghee, ½ cup sour cream or mayo, 2 tablespoon red pepper sauce, 3 tablespoon pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon ground mustard spice, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Melt all ingredients and mix together until combined. Turn heat off.
- Place zucchini noodles in a bowl and press down on noodles with a paper towel to remove excess water from noodles.
- Spread zucchini noodles over bottom of casserole dish.
- Place chopped cooked chicken and chopped celery on top of zucchini noodles.
- Pour or spoon the creamy buffalo sauce from the stove top, over the chicken and celery.
- Sprinkle optional chopped red bell pepper over the top of casserole.
- Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with optional grated cheese.
- Let cool until sauce has thickened again and cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1 of 5 servings, Calories: 325, Fat: 13.4 g, Carbohydrates: 6 g / Net Carbs: 4.2 g, Sugar: 3.6 g, Fiber: 1.8 g, Protein: 38 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*
Recipes you May Also Enjoy: