Turkey Sweet Potato Pie-
Turkey sweet Potato Pie, or Turkey Cauliflower Mash Pie for low carb option. I used to make a pie similar to this with Thanksgiving left overs, and I was thinking, why not make a paleo, primal, low carb version of it with ground or chopped turkey. That way I could have it any time of the year. My family loved it as much as the original.
I was going to name it "Thanksgiving pie", but thought that would not be descriptive enough. I also made some low carb version with cauliflower mash instead of sweet potatoes.
The small amount of banana in the mashed sweet potato or cauliflower adds a creamy texture and sweetness, but will not make it taste like banana. You can leave it out if you must.
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Turkey Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 ½ Lbs to 2 ground turkey or chopped turkey meat.
- A pinch sea salt * optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon poultry seasoning or make your own (Mix: thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, and a dash nutmeg.).
- 3 cups medium size sweet potatoes peeled and cubed, or for low carb use 3 grated or riced cauliflower, steamed.
- ½ regular size banana ( weird but very good).
- 2 Carrots peeled and grated.
- 4 ribs of celery chopped.
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms chopped * optional
- 4 tablespoon melted butter divided or can use coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon sifted coconut flour or 2 tablespoon softened cream cheese
- 1 cup organic chicken stock or homemade chicken or turkey broth.
- ¼ teaspoon worcestershire sauce * optional can omit.
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- A dash sea salt and pepper.
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce * optional
- ¼ cup grated cheese * optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F, and oil or grease a casserole dish.
- In a deep skillet over medium high heat add ground turkey meat, poultry seasoning,sea salt, and pepper.
- Break up meat and seasonings with a wooden spoon and brown the meat.
- Place sweet potatoes in large stock pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, lower heat slightly, and cover pot and cook for 15 minutes until tender, or fo low carb steam or microwave riced cauliflower until soft (4 minutes), Set aside.
- Add to ground turkey meat: grated carrots, chopped celery, and mushrooms.
- Stir meat and veggies while cooking over medium high heat for about 6 minutes or until tender.
- While veggies are cooking, Melt 2 tablespoon coconut oil, or butter in small sauce pan overt medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoon sifted coconut flour, or 2 tablespoon cream cheese to the oil / butter sauce pan, and whisk for one minute.
- Whisk in 1 cup chicken stock to sauce pan, and add garlic powder, dash sea salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce*optional.
- Let thicken a few minutes ( coconut flour version will not get very thick, but it still works).
- Stir chicken stock gravy mixture into turkey meat veggie mixture.
- Turn off heat from turkey skillet.
- Drain sweet potatoes and return to the warm stock pot ( if using cauliflower, then squeeze out moisture from steamed cauliflower pressing it, wrapped in a cheese cloth or fine mesh towel and continue to follow directions using in place of sweet potato.).
- Add 2 tablespoon coconut oil or 2 tablespoon butter to sweet potatoes and melt over medium heat.
- Add peeled sliced ½ banana, sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper sauce.
- Mash sweet potato and banana with potato masher or electric beater until combined.
- spread turkey meat mixture on bottom of casserole dish, then top and spread with sweet potato mixture.
- Can top with optional cheese.
- Bake in 425 F oven for 20 minutes or until slightly browned.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.