Wouldn’t it be nice if you could come home to a luau in your crock pot .My favorite food at any Hawaiian luau is the roasted pork. It is so smoky and juicy. I have been trying to replicate that flavor at home in my crock pot. But was not quite successful, until I found this particular brand of Hawaiian black lava sea salt.
I also used some hickory smoked natural, nitrate free bacon, minced garlic and natural liquid smoke (optional). Find a brand of hickory liquid smoke that has no chemicals, msg, or additives. One that just contains liquid smoke. But the recipe does not need it, if you are unsure about using it. The black lava sea salt and bacon add enough smoke accents. I just like the extra smoke flavor in mine.
Place bacon and garlic on the bottom of crock pot. poke holes in roast with knife and rub with black lava sea salt. Place roast in crock pot, and add optional liquid smoke. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. Turn to low and cook for 2 hours. Pull pork apart with fork (should fall apart easily if done) and stir. Can add some shredded cabbage if desired. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Or could cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- 3 lb pork roast (shoulder or butt).
- 4 slices Bacon, hickory smoked and nitrate free.
- 1½ to 2 tbsp Hawaiian black lava sea salt * could use Hawaiian red sea salt too, but the black has a smoked taste due to activated coconut- shell charcoal, can also use pink sea salt as well.
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 tbsp hickory liquid smoke (all natural kind, with smoke as the only ingredient, * optional, can omit.
- Cauli Rice:
- 3 cups cauliflower.
- 2 tbsp organic or homemade chicken broth.
- ¼ tsp garlic powder.
- ⅛ tsp sea salt.
- Set crock pot to high setting, and line the bottom of crock pot with the raw bacon slices. Sprinkle minced garlic over the top of bacon.
- Trim a little fat off bottom of roast if desired.
- With a sharp knife, poke and stab holes all over and through the roast .
- Pou 1½ to 2 tbsp of black lava sea salt into small pinch bowl and use fingers to rub salt all over roast (will be a charcoal mess on your hands, but it washes off easily).
- Place roast, fat side down into crock pot. Add optional liquid smoke over top of roast, and cover crock pot. Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours ( longer time for bone in roast), then on low for 2 hours. Could also cook on low for 8 hours to 10 hours, (if your roast has a bone in it , then it will need 8 to 10). Once cooking time is up, take a fork and pull apart roast in crock pot (it should fall apart easily if done). Stir shredded pork and bacon in crock pot and cover. Cook on low for 30 minutes.
- If you choose to make the cauliflower rice, now is the time to start making it. Steam cauliflower for 20 minutes, or microwave for 5 minutes. Put slightly cooled cauliflower into food processor and add chicken broth, garlic, and sea salt.
- Process until rice texture forms.
- Place a scoop of the cauli rice onto a plate and add a scoop of shredded luau pork.
- Serve and enjoy.