This French Vanilla Angel Food Cake was amazing! Primal with low carb and paleo options. And big hit with the hubby and kids. My daughter proclaimed this one of her very favorite desserts. I had the idea when making the Devilish Angel Food Mini Cakes. They were really yummy and chocolate, but I really do love regular angel food cake. And when a wonderful viewer commented that she wanted a regular, vanilla version too. That was it, it had to happen! And I’m so glad it did. Thank you Denise for helping make this happen!
The primal, paleo and low carb versions both came out awesome. Next time I‘m going to make this in a cake pan. As cute as the mini bundt pans are for photos, it is always harder to get the cakes out of the decorative pans. I believe, I need better pans. I’m, however, a little wary of the silicone ones.
Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg yolk-coconut batter into stiff egg whites.
Spoon into prepared 9 inch cake pan or mini bundt pan.
Bake at 300 F for about 20 minutes, or until cake is browning on top. Cool, and top with whipped cream or coconut cream and berries.
- 3 eggs separate whites and yolks.
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar.
- 2 tbsp organic cream cheese softened ( full fat kind), or for paleo sub with 2 tbsp cashew butter+ 1/2 tsp lemon juice, warmed and mixed (dairy free option).
- 2 tbsp butter melted, or coconut oil melted, where to buy coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour sifted, where to buy coconut flour
- tbsp Sweetener of choice: 2 honey for primal / paleo or for low carb use: 2 tbsp erythritol + 8 drops liquid stevia +2 ½ tbsp water.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract . organic GF kind
- 1/8 tsp ground vanilla bean * optional can omit (I love extra vanilla).
- ½ tsp baking soda + ½ tsp cream of tartar mixed in a separate pinch bowl.
- ¼ cup organic heavy cream or for dairy free use coconut cream whipped and sweetened to taste with a few drops honey for paleo / primal or use a few drops liquid stevia for low carb version., coconut cream or canned coconut milk in fridge overnight and scoop out solid cream at top of can
- ¼ cup berries of choice (I used blueberries and raspberries)
- Kitchen Tools:
- inch One 9 cake pan or 1 mini bundt cake dozen pan.
- Two large mixing bowls.
- Egg separator * optional I do it the “old school” way, where to buy an egg separator
- One small pinch bowl or small container.
- One hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Immersion stick blender or bullet type blender . for whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 300 F, and grease or oil a 9 inch cake pan, or mini bundt cake pan (use extra grease or oil for mini bundt cake pan because baked goods stick more in decorative pans).
- Separate the eggs whites and yolks. Put whites in large mixing bowl, being careful not to get any yolk in it. Put yolks in different large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add ¼ tsp cream of tartar to egg whites and use hand mixer or stand mixer on high to whip egg whites. Continue whipping egg whites until stiff peaks form (it takes a few minutes) * see photo above. Set aside.
- In other mixing bowl with yolks combine: yolks, softened cream cheese, melted butter, sweetener of choice (honey or low carb kind * see ingredient list), vanilla extract, optional ground vanilla bean, and sifted coconut flour. Combine thoroughly.
- Add baking soda- cream of tartar mixture to the egg yolk-coconut flour batter and mix well.
- Add egg yolk-coconut flour batter to the stiff egg whites and fold in with a spatula. Can stir gently, scraping sides a couple times after folding in. Just be careful not mix, and lose the foamy texture * see photo above.
- Spoon foamy batter into prepared 9 inch cake pan, or mini bundt pan *see photo above.
- Bake at 300 F for 19 to 20 minutes, or until top of cake is browning.
- Cool. Use a knife between cake and edge of pan and slide around to loosen before removing.
- Can make optional whipped cream with stick blender or magic bullet. Blend heavy cream or coconut cream and sweetener of choice until whipped cream forms.
- Top with whipped topping and berries if desired and serve.
Nutritonal Data for Low Carb Version ( includes berries and whip cream): Serving size: 2 mini bundt cakes, or 1/6 of 9 inch round cake pan, Cal: 139, Carbs: 3.1 g / Net Carbs: 1.9 g, Fiber: 1.2 g, Fat: 12 g, Protein:4 g, Sugar: 1 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*
What are your favorite types of pans to bake with?