Paleo Cinnamon Raisin Bagels-
Paleo Cinnamon Raisin Bagels or Plain Bagels are a grain free breakfast treat that will remind you of the real thing. These came out so good and really have a “whole wheat” sort of flavor, but are completely grain free, gluten free, starch free, and nut free with dairy free options.
A fantastic bagel sub for people who are on a Paleo , GAPS, or Low Carb diet. I gave a lower carb option by leaving the raisins out, and making plain bagels or cinnamon bagels, and using a low carb sweetener option. You could also make paleo plain bagels by leaving out the cinnamon and raisins.
You could serve them with butter, sunflower seed butter, almond butter, coconut butter, honey, or cream cheese if you eat dairy. These can also be made ahead and frozen. Left overs must be kept in fridge or freezer.
These can be pan toasted or toasted in a toaster oven (most regular toasters will be too destructive for these). Hope you love these as much as my family does.
Before baking and where to buy this Bagel Pan
- ⅓ cup coconut flour, sifted, where to buy coconut flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp golden flax meal, where to buy golden flax meal
- ½ tsp baking soda, or can use 1 tsp baking powder.
- 2 tsp cinnamon. *optional, omit if making plain bagels.
- A dash sea salt *optional
- 3 eggs, beaten.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
- 2 ½ tbsp butter, melted, or coconut oil or ghee, melted, where to buy coconut oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar.
- 1 tbsp organic honey (paleo), or for low carb version use 1 tsp liquid stevia.
- 1 tsp organic GF vanilla extract, *optional.
- ⅓ cup golden or dark, unsulphured raisins, or for lowest carb, omit raisins and make plain bagels * optional, can omit raisins for making plain bagels.
- Kitchen tools:
- 1 bagel donut mold pan, where to buy bagel pan[
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Preheat Oven to 350 F, and grease or oil a bagel or donut pan (1/2 dozen donut pan), where to buy bagel donut pan
- In a large bowl combine: ⅓ cup sifted coconut flour, 1 ½ tbsp golden flax meal, ½ tsp baking soda or 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp optional cinnamon, ⅛ tsp sea salt. Mix together thoroughly.
- In another mixing bowl combine: 3 eggs, ⅓ cup coconut or almond milk, 2 ½ tbsp butter or coconut oil (melted), 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp honey or low carb option 1 tsp stevia, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry (coconut flour mixture). Mix together thoroughly.
- Add optional raisins or freeze dried (or fresh) blueberries to mixture and stir.
- Spoon batter into bagel or donut pan and spread around with the back of a spoon. Use a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe off bagel center.
- Bake at 350 F for17 to 20 minutes, check at 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let bagels cool. Use a butter knife between bagel and pan edges, and slide around to loosen bagels.
- Can be turned up on side and sliced in half. Could pan toast in greased or buttered fry pan on both sides till browned. Could also use a toaster oven or oven broiler to toast. *Don’t use a regular toaster as they may fall apart*
- Serve with topping of choice: butter, sunflower butter, almond butter, coconut butter, honey, cream cheese etc.…
- Refrigerate or freeze unused portions.
Nutritional Data for Low Carb Raisin Bagel Version with stevia: Serving Size: 1 bagel, Cal: 139, Carbs: 8 g / Net Carbs: 6.2 g, Fiber: 1.8, Fat: 10 g, Sugar: 2.5 g
Nutritional Data for Paleo Raisin Version with honey: Servings: 6 bagels, Serving size: 1 bagel, Cal: 170, Carbs: 16 g / Net Carbs: 14.3 g, Fiber: 1.8 g, Fat: 10 g, Protein: 5 g, Sugar; 9 g
*all nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used *