Fantasy Fish Cakes with Aioli Sauce-
Fantasy Fish Cakes with Aioli Sauce are an easy to make, low carb, budget friendly, alternative to crab cakes.
These Tuna cakes are grain free, primal and low carb with a paleo option. Called “poor man’s crab cakes” by some, these are easy and inexpensive to make. My kids, who hate tuna, loved these. They keep asking me to make them again.
We are obsessed with the Alioli Sauce too. Definitely an addictive sauce and a keeper.
Be sure to make the patties medium thickness and get them nice and browned before flipping them over. If they are made too thin or not browned enough, they will fall apart when you try to flip them over. I learned that the hard way, lol.
I just recently gave this post a long overdue photo update and added a video!
Watch The Recipe Video Below: Press the Arrow to Play
I usually make a double batch of the sauce because the kids always fight over it. Okay, maybe I’m in that fight as well.
- 5 to 6 ounce Can Tuna Fish or packet
- 1 Egg beaten.
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese ( can omit for diary free)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Golden Flax Meal
- 2 Tbsp Almond meal or almond flour
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp Avocado oil, or Coconut Oil or Olive oil for frying
- THE AIOLI SAUCE:
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tsp Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- Drain tuna extra well, pat with a paper towel once drained.
- Mix all ingredients, except olive oil and sauce ingredients, in a mixing bowl
- Heat oil in Frying pan over medium high heat.
- Place a heaping spoonful into fry pan and press the spoonful down and flatten with back of spoon or spatula.
- Fry for about 2- 3 minutes on each side until browned and crusted.
- It helps to not flip it until the side forms a browned crust.
- Aioli Sauce:
- Mix all Ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
Make Aoili Sauce in advance, so it can chill while fish cakes are cooking.
Nutrition Facts: Yield: 6 small patties, Serving size: 2 patties, Calories: 144 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 1.2 g / Net Carbs: 0.5 g Sugar: 0.1 g Fiber: 0.7 g Protein: 18 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*