Grain Free Breakfast Shepherd Pies-
Grain Free Breakfast Shepherd Pies are a primal, paleo , low carb breakfast pot pie with bacon.
Grain free breakfast Shepherd pies are a low carb, primal, egg and bacon mini pie that are topped with a coconut flour, veggie crust. The kids and hubby did not notice the hidden veggies either. I know, I’m being sneaky again. Hoping that, eventually, they will eat veggies without the covertness.
These mini pies are very simple to throw together, and would make an impressive brunch entrée when entertaining. Also great to make in advance, keep in the fridge, and reheat in the morning. Perfect if your ramekins have lids, but could be covered with foil or plastic wrap too.
I made them on the weekend, and reheated during the week for a fast, nourishing, low carb, breakfast. I topped mine with a little cheese, tomato, avocado, and hot sauce. My picky child had his plain, with no toppings, of course.
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
- Breakfast Pie Filling:
- 4 eggs beaten.
- 2 tbsp milk of choice: unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk or organic heavy cream.
- 1/8 tsp sea salt.
- 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- PIE CRUST TOPPING:
- ½ cups medium sized head of raw cauliflower riced or grated
- 2 tbsp . coconut flour
- 1 egg beaten.
- 1/3 cup grated cheese of choice (cheddar jack, pepper jack, etc.) * Optional, can omit.
- ½ tsp sea salt.
- 1/8 tsp paprika *optional.
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper.
- 2 tsp butter melted *optional
- 6 slices bacon cooked and cut in half.
- Optional Toppings:
- 1/3 cup grated cheese of choice * optional.
- ½ avocado sliced, * optional.
- 1 small tomato chopped, *optional.
- 3 tbsp salsa or hot sauce *optional.
- KITCHEN TOOLS:
- 4 inch ramekins or small glass or ceramic crocks (I used 6 or 2 cup size).
- Food processor ricer or grater.
- Pastry brush * optional.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil 4 ramekins.
- In a larger mixing bowl combine: 4 eggs, 2 tbsp milk of choice, sea salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour equal amounts of egg mixture into bottom of ramekins. Bake the egg filled ramekins in the oven for 10 minutes or until eggs are somewhat firm. Remove ramekins from oven and let cool.
- Layer two slices of bacon on top of each egg in the ramekin. Set aside.
- Process cauliflower in food processor until rice like texture forms. Can also use a ricer or grater.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl: cauliflower rice, coconut flour, 1 beaten egg, optional grated cheese, sea salt, paprika, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into 4 servings.
- Place a portion of cauliflower crust mixture on top of bacon layer. Use the back of a spoon to spread and cover the top of the bacon.
- Brush tops of pies with optional melted butter.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until crust is browning and firm in center (it puffs up in the middle, but will go down while cooling).
- Remove from oven and top with optional cheese, then let cool.
- Top with optional toppings and serve.
Nutritional Data is an estimate based on the products I used.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1 pie ( includes cheese and all toppings) Calories: 236 Fat: 12 gCarbohydrates: 7.7 g / Net Carbs: 4 g Sugar: 3 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 15 g
*All nutritional data are estimates based on the products I used*