This Grain Free Cheese Filled Mini Meatloaf is an easy to throw together, keto, low carb main dish that is baked in a muffin tin.
Preparing meat loves in a muffin pan is a great way to serve meatloaf and have automatic portion control.
I have been experimenting with my family's meatloaf recipe. I have been trying to make it grain-free and low carb.
Finally, I have made a version that is just as good as the old recipe. This one is primal, low carb and grain-free, but could be paleo if you omit the cheese.
It could be made in a regular loaf pan, but it is easier to have more precise portions if made in a muffin pan. The kids think it is cuter that way too.
- Ground Beef.
- Tomato Sauce or puree (make sure tomatoes are the only ingredients)
- Golden Flax Meal or Crushed Pork Rinds
- Garlic Powder.
- Ground Celery Seed* optional.
- Sea Salt.
- Gluten Free Worcestershire Sauce * optional.
- Grated Cheese
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Onion Powder
- Erythitol granular Sweetener for low carb
See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200℃), and lightly oil a 12 muffin, medium size, muffin pan.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, flax meal, Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup tomato sauce, paprika, sea salt, celery seed, and garlic powder. Mix together.
Mix meat until well incorporated, and divide in half.
Using half of the meat mixture, place one or two spoonfuls of mixture into each muffin indentation and press down in the pan (should fill to just slightly under half full).
Place 2 teaspoon of cheese on top of each.
Using the other half of the meat mixture, place one or two spoonfuls of mixture on top of the cheese layer, and press down into the muffin pan.
In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and allspice and the sweetener.
Brush 2 teaspoons of tomato glaze on top of each meatloaf muffin.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or more, until meatloaves are done.
- Flax Meal - instead of golden flax meal, you can use crushed pork rinds.
- Tomato Glaze- You can replace the tomato glaze with Keto BBQ Sauce, or with low carb ketchup.
- Cheese - the cheese can replaced with dairy free almond cheese for a daiy free version.
- Bacon- You can add chopped cooked bacon to the cheese filling to have a bacon cheese filled mini meat loaf.
- Cheese- I used cheddar but feel free try different varieties of grated cheese, such as pepper jack, havarti, etc.
I used a silicone muffin pan, but you can also use a metal muffin tin.
Store any leftover cooked meatloaves in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, or can also freeze in a freezer bag for up to a month.
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
Grain Free Cheese Filled Mini Meatloaf
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- ½ cup (4 ounces) Tomato Sauce or puree (make sure tomatoes are the only ingredients)
- 1 large Egg beaten.
- 2 tablespoon Golden Flax Meal or crushed pork rinds
- ½ teaspoon Paprika.
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Celery Seed* optional.
- ¼ teaspoon Sea salt.
- 1 ½ tablespoon Gluten Free Worcestershire Sauce * optional.
- ½ cup Cheese grated
- TOMATO GLAZE:
- ⅓ cup Tomato sauce or puree, make sure tomatoes are the only ingredients
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 3 teaspoon Erythritol granular low carb sweetener
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200C), and lightly oil a 12 muffin, medium size, muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine: ground beef, egg, flax meal, Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup tomato sauce, paprika, sea salt, celery seed, and garlic powder.
- Mix meat until well incorporated, and divide in half.
- Using half of meat mixture, place one or two spoonful’s of mixture into each muffin indentation and press down in pan (should fill to just slightly under half full).
- Place 2 teaspoon of cheese on top of each meat layer.
- Using other half of meat mixture, place one or two spoonful’s of mixture on top of cheese layer, and press down into muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, combine: tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and allspice and sweetener.
- Spread tomato glaze on top of each meat muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or more, until top is browned.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipes You May Also Enjoy:
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove