Keto Plum Upside Down Cake is a simple to make, low carb, yummy, caramelized upside-down cake made with plums instead of high carb pineapple. This cake also has paleo version.
A keto plum upside-down cake that is low in carbs and simple to prepare in a cake pan.
Even with my limited decorating skills and overly ripe plums from my neighbor’s plum tree, this cake still turned out really beautiful!
My neighbor has a large plum tree and brought me a big bag of tree-ripe plums and there was no possibility of eating them all before they spoiled.
I did chop some of them to freeze for later but thought I should also bake something with them.
I have not really made many recipes with plums before except for fruit crisps and jam.
So, I was not exactly sure If I could just swap out pineapple with plums.
I have to admit that I liked it even more than the pineapple cake!
I was pleasantly surprised at how very yummy this cake was and with a small scoop of low carb ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream it is pure heaven in my mouth!
Common Questions About This Recipe
Plums on there own are lower carb, but not exactly keto. However, there are 8 slices of this cake and 5 plums in the whole recipe, so you are only getting a few slices of a plum per serving and not an entire plum. This makes this recipe more keto friendly.
Yes, you can use the regular low carb sweetener for both the cake batter and the caramelized fruit bottom. I used brown because I had some leftover and I thought it might brown even better.
Yes, you use frozen defrosted plums in the recipe.
I did a non-over lapping spiral shape, but you can do whatever shape you want. Just be aware that some intricate designs may involve overlapping and you will run out of plums slices. I would not add more unless you are paleo and not counting carbs.
Printable Recipe Card
Keto Plum Upside Down Cake
- 8 tablespoon 1 stick Butter, melted & divided
- ½ cup Low Carb Brown Sweetener or use coconut sugar for paleo
- 5 2-⅛" dia Plums, halved, pitted and sliced into wedges
- 1 ⅓ cups Blanched Almond Flour
- ⅔ cup Low Carb Sweetener or use coconut sugar for paleo
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C) and spray 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil spray. Add 5 tablespoons of the melted butter and the brown sweetener to the cake pan and stir to combine.
- Arrange plum slices in a spiral formation on top of the sauce. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine: almond flour, low carb sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter and almond milk. Add eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until combined
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spoon batter evenly over plums and spread the cake batter to cover.
- Bake cake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Using a knife placed between the cake and the slide of the pan to slide around and loosen cake from the pan. Place a platter over the top of the cake pan and invert (turn upside down) cake pan. Let stand for 5 minutes and gently lift off the cake pan. Serve cake warm with whipped heavy cream or a small scoop of low carb ice cream.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipes You May Also Enjoy: