Keto Salisbury Steak and Gravy are such a tasty, budget-friendly, low carb, gluten-free, comfort food meal.
Savory seasoned ground beef patties smothered in rich mushroom gravy, this old fashioned low carb meal will be sure to bring back childhood memories.
Growing up in the ’70s, I have been served my fair share of the awful frozen TV dinners. All of which were terrible except for the Salisbury steak and gravy variety.
Don’t get me wrong they were unhealthy for sure and filled with sodium and God only knows what else, but that one did actually taste pretty good.
I decided to bring back those simpler times and make a healthier, non-frozen, keto, low carb version.
This low-carb entree would be excellent paired with low-carb cauliflower mash or even a side salad.
Common Questions about the Recipe?
James Salisbury (1823–1905), an American physician and chemist, advocated for a meat-centered diet to promote health and made a meat patty served in brown gravy. (Source)
The term Salisbury steak named after James Salisbury has been used in the United States since 1897.
You can use unflavored gelatin (½ tablespoon to 1 tablespoon slowly sprinkled into the gravy while whisking continuously). You can also use 2 teaspoon arrowroot powder mashed into 1 tablespoon butter then added to the gravy and melted and whisked in.
You can replace the Worcestershire sauce with tamari sauce or coconut aminos.
Keto Salisbury Steak and Gravy Printable Recipe Below:
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Keto Salisbury Steak and Gravy
Salisbury Steak Patties
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the Salisbury steak patty ingredients. Use hands to mix together.
- Form 4 patties with the meat mixture.
- Heat avocado oil in a large pan over high heat and add patties to the pan. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until completely cooked through and browned.
- Transfer patties to a plate and set aside.
- Turn pan heat to low. Add butter and scrape the pan to deglaze. Add minced garlic and sprinkle in xanthan gum while whisking into the butter using a fork or a small whisk.
- Add water, beef broth, sliced mushrooms, and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and stir.
- Turn up the heat to medium and bring to a bubbling simmer. Turn down heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper. Return the patties to the pan with the gravy, spoon gravy over patties and cover the pan with the lid to let warm for 2 to 3 minutes.