Keto Spanakopita Stuffed Chicken is a savory and delightfully cheesy, low carb, gluten-free version of Spanakopita without the phyllo dough and all the carbs.
I remember the first time I had Spanakopita at a Greek restaurant; of course, this was years before I found out that I had Celiac Disease.
I loved the layers of spinach with a lemony citrus flavor and a tangy kick of feta cheese and the light and flakey crust.
But alas, I can't have phyllo dough, which is a bummer when I love Greek food!
I know there are probably gluten-free phyllo dough products in some specialty stores, but they are now low carb by any means.
That is why I decided to make Keto Spanakopita Stuffed Chicken as a tasty alternative to traditional Spanakopita.
This recipe has all the taste and flavors of Spanakopita, but it is stuffed into a chicken breast instead of layered with phyllo dough.
My teen son, who called spinach "leaves" when he was little, and he also does not relish any food that has a green color. He actually loved this recipe. I think all the cheeses won him over!
When my son was about five years old, I served him a spinach salad, and he said, "Mom, why are there tree leaves on my plate? Humans can't eat leaves!". Yep, he did say that.
We laughed pretty hard and then tried to explain that spinach was not a tree leaf. But my son was so stubborn that there was just no convincing him.
Be sure to thaw and drain the spinach properly (I explain how in the recipe directions) to remove any excess moisture, as spinach can release liquid and get very watery.
Recommended Tools & Products:
As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Printable Recipe Card Below:
📖 Printable Recipe Card
Keto Spanakopita Stuffed Chicken
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (190 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Drain thawed spinach in a colander and press down with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine: cream cheese, spinach, feta cheese, parmesan, onion powder, and minced garlic, Mix until well blended. Set aside.
- Carefully butterfly chicken breasts (cut a deep pocket into the chicken breasts making sure not to cut all the way through). Cut a few diagonal slits through the top of the pockets in chicken breast *see photo below.
- Spoon spinach cheese mixture into the chicken breast pocket. Place stuffed chicken on the lined baking sheet.
- Brush the top and sides of stuffed chicken with avocado oil or olive oil. Sprinkle with salt pepper, parsley, and lemon zest.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, then for 3 to 5 additional minutes under the broiler on high until the top starts slightly browning. You check for doneness with a thermometer inserted into the center of chicken that should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipes You May Also Enjoy:
Related Posts Across the Web: