Quick Paleo Frosted Vanilla Berry Cake is a fast, grain free, healthy, and single to double serve cake with a low carb option. Great for when you’re on the go.
Even if you make it in the oven, it is still pretty quick. I love fast, single serve snacks because it is portion control for me and I don’t have entire tray of goodies sitting around calling to me. This cake is actually big enough for two portions or one if you’re still hungry. I decided to use the cashew meal I had purchased, and to my surprise it rises a lot higher that coconut flour or almond flour. So, you may see it actually rise over the top of the ramekin, but it doesn’t make a mess and it goes back down a little when it is done. Still, the cake was much taller than I thought it would be. A good surprise for a change!
I decided to add blueberries and vanilla, and topped it with a vanilla frosting made from a coconut butter base. You can use any kind of favorite berries, but I used blueberries as they are very nutrient dense. I am always trying to add more blueberries to my diet. That being said, I know you will want to hear my favorite blueberry story.
My husband has an employee that is over 70 at his work, and he is more active and vibrant than most the guys in their 20’s at his work. He asked him “what is your secret?” and the man said “I eat blueberries every day”. After that my husband insists that we eat blueberries every day. So, there you have it, this is practically an anti-aging cake, lol.
Quick Paleo Frosted Vanilla Berry Cake
- ½ tbsp butter or ghee or coconut oil, melted, where to buy ghee
- 1 tbsp milk of choice: unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk, or heavy cream
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ tsp GF vanilla extract like this one
- 1 tbsp Sweetener of choice: 1 honey or 1 tbsp erythritol + 12 drops liquid stevia for low carb
- 3 tbsp cashew meal, or almond flour, (grind up cashews into a powder in a processor or buy cashew meal)
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp blueberries
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee or coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp coconut butter melted, or cream cheese, softenedd
- 1 tbsp almond or coconut milk
- ½ tsp lemon juice can use this lemon squeezer
- 1 1/2 tsp honey or for low carb use 1 1/2 tsp erythritol like Swerve.
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat Oven to 400 F if not using microwave, and grease or oil a 6 inch ramekin, (example of a ramekin).
- Combine in the ramekin: ½ tbsp melted butter or coconut oil, 1 tbsp milk of choice, 1 egg, ¼ tsp vanilla extract, sweetener of choice, and 3 tbsp cashew meal or almond flour. Mix together vigorously with a fork.
- Add to mixture: 1/8 tsp baking soda and pour on top of baking soda the ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar (let it fizz a little). Mix baking soda and vinegar into the batter thoroughly.
- Add blueberries to mixture.
- Cook in microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until rises completely, or Bake in 400 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until completely risen.
- Remove from microwave or conventional oven and let cool completely.
- Place all frosting ingredients into a small sauce pan on medium low heat.
- Melt and stir frosting in pan until melted and combined.
- Place a butter knife between the cake and ramekin and slide around cake edges to loosen.
- Remove from ramekin or leave in ramekin (can eat out of ramekin).
- Frost and spread the top of the cake with frosting. Serve and enjoy (2 servings).