Sunflower Butter Cookies-
Sunflower butter cookies are a very simple cookie to make and decorate. These are paleo and nut free, with low carb and dairy free options.
Although, the first batch I made turned bright green, yes green! I don’t know if you’ve ever baked with sunflower seed butter before, but the chlorophyll in the seeds reacts with the baking soda, which turns it a lovely shade of green. So, I had to save that recipe for ST. Patrick’s Day.
I went back to redo the whole recipe idea, just leaving out the baking soda this time. They came out so yummy and not green, yay! Turns out the baking soda was not needed. However we still ate the green ones too. They tasted better than they looked.
Press a chocolate chip or raisin into cookie center.
Gently press sunflower seeds around chocolate chip or raisin center.
Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely and serve.
RECIPE AND DIRECTIONS BELOW:
- 6 tbsp coconut flour where to buy coconut flour
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter or favorite nut butter (find one low in sugar and carbs), nut free
- 1 egg.
- cup Sweetener of choice: 2/3 coconut sugar for paleo or for low carb use 2/3 cup erythritol (sugar free), where to buy erythritol
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil melted.
- Sunflower Decoration:
- 2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 12 t dark chocolate chips or sugar free kind like this one, or if you don' eat chocolate, then use 12 raisins, dairy and soy free kind
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl combine: 1 egg, ½ cup sunflower seed butter, sweetener of choice, and 1/3 cup melted butter or melted coconut oil, and 6 Tbsp coconut flour.
- Mix together thoroughly. Place dough in mixing bowl into the freezer for 12 minutes to make dough less sticky and spread less while baking.
- Place your decorating chocolate chips or raisins and sunflower seeds in a bowl near the baking sheet.
- Once dough is cold and more solid, then form into 12 dough balls and put each on the baking sheet. Flatten the tops of the dough a little *see photo above.
- Push a chip or raisin into the center of each cookie,* as shown in photo above.
- Then place and gently push the sunflower seeds around the chip or raisin in the cookie,* as seen in photo above.
- After decorating, Bake at 350 F for 12 minutes or until cookies are browning.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 12 minutes or more to firm up a little before taking off baking sheet as they will be very soft when first out of the oven.
- Once completely cooled, remove from sheet and serve.
Nutritional data for Paleo Version (includes decorations): Serving : 1 medium size cookie, Cal: 185, Carbs: 16 g / Net Carbs: 13.4 g, Fiber: 2.6 g, Fat: 12 g, Protein: 4 g, sugar: 13 g
Nutritional Data for Low Carb Version (includes decorations): serving: 1 medium size cookie, Cal: 148, Carbs: 5.6 g/ Net Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 2.6, Fat; 12 g, Protein: 4 g, Sugar: 2 g