Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken is a sweet, tangy, and tasty low carb version of a Chinese take-out classic dish that even the kids will love.
Crisp, low carb breaded, and pan-fried chicken pieces in a sweet and tangy lemon sauce, this low carb twist on a favorite Asian meal was a big hit with the whole family.
Coconut flour is high in fiber and low in carbs. I also swapped out the traditional sweetener for a low-carb confectioners sweetener, which makes the recipe keto-friendly.
I used avocado oil to pan fry the chicken, but you can also use coconut oil suitable for high heat.
Some oils are not ideal for frying as they can burn and scorch. When you purchase oil, check for a high smoke point, which means it is a good frying option and works well with high heat.
Flavored with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest also make this a healthier version of the recipe.
This version of Lemon chicken originates from the Canadian & British adaptations of Chinese cuisine, consisting of pieces of chicken meat that are breaded and deep-fried and coated with a thick, sweet lemon sauce.
Common Questions About The Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken Recipe
I find that the coconut flour works much better in this recipe and would not recommend using almond flour.
The xanthan gum is a thickener, so if you leave it out, then the sauce will not have a glaze texture and will be runnier and more like a broth.
No, I would not use olive oil to replace avocado oil as it has a low smoke point and can quickly burn and scorch when used with high heat and frying. If you are going to use a different oil, check to see if it has a high smoke point for frying.
Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken Printable Recipe Card Below
Keto Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and set them aside.
- Add the coconut flour to a mixing bowl and in small batches add the chicken pieces into the flour and toss to fully coat in the flour.
- Add avocado oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add the chicken pieces in small batches and fry until all are fully cooked through. Set aside.
- Add lemon zest to a saucepan on medium-high heat and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add chicken broth and low carb sweetener to the saucepan, and whisk until the sweetener is dissolved. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- While continuously whisking, slowly add the xanthan gum, turn up the heat and bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow the sauce to reduce until the sauce has thickened to a glaze. Remove from heat.
- Add the fried chicken pieces into the sauce and toss to coat in the lemon sauce. Serve as is or over warm cauliflower rice. Garnish with optional sesame seeds.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipes You May Also Love: